Custom Conv2D implementation from scratch not learning correctly

I have been attempting to implement my own Conv2D layer to better understand how it operates but I’m having some issues. I am using a simple CNN based auto encoder as my baseline training on the MNIST dataset. I am not using a complicated encoder/decoder, just a single conv2d layer. Here is my model:

class AutoEncoder(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()
        self.enc = torch.nn.Conv2d(1, 10, 3, stride=1)
        self.dec = torch.nn.ConvTranspose2d(10, 1, 3, stride=1)

def forward(self, x):
        return self.dec(self.enc(x))

As you can see, I am using 10 filters, a window size of 3, and a stride of 1. The results I am getting from this are really good! After two epochs of training on the MNIST, I get: test_loss 0.0009646228281781077 which is not unexpected. I wanted to post a photo of the expected next to the model output, but due to the forum limitations (since I am new) I can only post one photo. End of the day, the original image and the reconstruction after going through the model is nearly identical.

Moving on to my custom implementation. I am using fold and unfold to slice the image and reconstruct it. Below is the bulk of my conv code. I am using hardcoded image slices for MNIST and reshaping the fold/unfold inputs/outputs for this to make it simpler to understand quickly.

im = next(iter(trainloader))[0] #just get a single batch of MNIST train set in format b c h w
encoder_weights = torch.randn(10, 1, 3, 3, requires_grad=True) #filter, channel, height, width
decoder_weights = torch.randn(1, 10, 3, 3, requires_grad=True) #filter, channel, height, width
unfolded = F.unfold(im, 3, 1).view(-1, 1, 3, 3, 26, 26) #batch, channel*prod(kernel*[2 dims]), height*width (out) -> batch, channel, kernel, kernel, height, width
enc = torch.einsum('bcdehw, fcde -> bfhw', unfolded, encoder_weights).unsqueeze(2).unsqueeze(2) #batch, channel (filter out), 1, 1 height, width
dec = torch.einsum('bcdehw, fcde -> bfdehw', enc, decoder_weights).view(-1, 9, 676) #batch, channel (filter out), kernel, kernel, height, width -> batch, channel*prod(kernel*[2 dims]), height*width (out)
folded = F.fold(dec, im.shape[-2:], 3, 1) 

My output after training looks like the following:

output

Clearly this isn’t the intended output and only gets worst as training goes on. Does anyone have any direction I could look to solve this issue? Just for completeness, I am using PyTorch Lightning and my custom implementation is listed below.

class AutoEncoder(pl.LightningModule):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()

self.encoder_weights = t.nn.Parameter(t.randn(10, 1, 3, 3, requires_grad=True)) #filter, channel, height, width
        self.decoder_weights = t.nn.Parameter(t.randn(1, 10, 3, 3, requires_grad=True)) #filter, channel, height, width

def forward(self, x):
        unfolded = F.unfold(x, 3, 1).view(-1, 1, 3, 3, 26, 26) #batch, channel*prod(kernel*[2 dims]), height*width (out) -> batch, channel, kernel, kernel, height, width
        enc = t.einsum('bcdehw, fcde -> bfhw', unfolded, self.encoder_weights).unsqueeze(2).unsqueeze(2) #batch, channel (filter out), 1, 1 height, width
        dec = t.einsum('bcdehw, fcde -> bfdehw', enc, self.decoder_weights).view(-1, 9, 676) #batch, channel (filter out), kernel, kernel, height, width -> batch, channel*prod(kernel*[2 dims]), height*width (out)
        folded = F.fold(dec, x.shape[-2:], 3, 1) 
        return folded

def training_step(self, batch, batch_idx):
        x, y = batch
        x_hat = self.forward(x)
        loss = F.mse_loss(x_hat, x)
        self.log("train_loss", loss)
        return loss

def configure_optimizers(self):
        return t.optim.Adam(self.parameters(), lr=1e-3)

Looks like I figured this out.

My training rate was set too low to compare my custom layer against a conv2d layer for a single epoch. For the torch conv2d layer, I could keep the learning rate at 1e-4 and it would learn over a single epoch. With my implementation, I had to move it to 1e-2 in order to get it to be visually accurate in one epoch, otherwise I had to run about 4 epochs.

It turns out, it was my weight initialization. My initial loss was extremely high starting out and took at least two epochs to be in the same ballpark as the conv2d layer started out at. After implementing a weight initialization, the loss was similar to that of the conv2d layer and converged even at 1e-4 learning rate!

If anyone else runs into this issue, I ended up using this immediately after declaring my encoder_weights and decoder_weights:

torch.nn.init.kaiming_uniform_(self.encoder_weights, a=np.sqrt(9))
torch.nn.init.kaiming_uniform_(self.decoder_weights, a=np.sqrt(10))