Custom Dataset that splits the data and applies Transforms accordingly

I have searched online and the forums and the only solution so far I have found is to use this external library: GitHub - szymonmaszke/torchdata: PyTorch dataset extended with map, cache etc. (tensorflow.data like)

So before I use that I was wondering whether there is a solution native to PyTorch.

Here is my dataset:

class CustomDataset(Dataset):
  def __init__(self, fns, transform=None):
    self.fns = fns
    self.transform = transform

def __len__(self):
    return len(self.fns)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
    image = Image.open(self.fns[idx]).convert("RGB")
    label = self.fns[idx].parent.name

if self.transform is not None:
      # apply transforms here

return image, label

For context, the images are all in respective folders but not split to train and valid.
Therefore I use this code to split it randomly:

dset = CustomDataset(filenames)
  num_items = len(dset)
  num_train = round(num_items * 0.8)
  num_val = num_items - num_train
  train_ds, val_ds = random_split(dset, [num_train, num_val])

The problem now is now that I have the specific datasets, I need to apply specific transforms depending if they are training data or valid data.

Im guessing I could create a class function like def split_data(self,....): inside the class but I’m not sure how to proceed.
Any leads? Or any better way to construct this custom dataset that does the splitting for us?

Instead of using random_split you could create two CustomDataset instances each one with the different transformation:

train_dataset = CustomDataset(filenames, train_transform)
val_dataset = CustomDataset(filenames, train_transform)

and then use Subset on both with their corresponding indices:

train_dataset = Subset(train_dataset, train_indices)
val_dataset = Subset(val_dataset, val_indices)

which will make sure that only the *_indices are used to draw samples from the internal dataset.
Also, since you are lazily loading the data (which is great!) the memory overhead should be small (only the file paths would be duplicated, but that shouldn’t matter).

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try it and let you know if it works