Custom kernel for Convolution

I want to perform convolutions with custom kernels, but in a manner different than traditional convolutions. While convolution in pytorch occurs in general by each kernel slid and multiplied with each channel and then the sum passed over, I need to perform convolutions where input and output channels are same and each kernel (same as the number of channels) is multiplied with only a single channel from the input. And concatenated with the rest of the outputs from the other kernels. It looks like this now:

in_channels=out_channels
filters = torch.zeros((batch_size,in_channels,out_channels,f_size,f_size)
for batch in range(batch_size):
     for chan in range(in_channels):
            filter_use=filters[batch,chan].unsqueeze(0)
            out_conv=F.conv2d(x[batch, chan].unsqueeze(0).unsqueeze(0), filter_use)

### Perform more operations
### Concatenate the results

While this gets the work done, it takes a huge amount of time as you can guess from the nested loop structure. What would be a faster alternative to this?

Boosting this ^^. Can anyone help me please :slight_smile: Thanks!

This sounds like a grouped convolution with the number of groups == number of input channels Conv2d — PyTorch 1.9.0 documentation, but I’m not sure because the current code example doesn’t run. Could you post a runnable code snippet to help confirm? The indexing of the filters by batch also seems very suspicious, as it implies that different elements of the batch are treated differently…

2 Likes

Thanks! It is indeed grouped convolutions. One more question–Grouped convolutions “assigns” kernels to channels in the order of their indices, right?

This sounds like it should be the case. As always, you can test this theory with synthetic data/weights to be sure.