Dataloader extremely slow when dealing with large tensor data

Hi, I am training a simple decoder (5M params) for a voice recognition problem. My input data is in two separate files:
x_tensor.pt: 1.1GB, shape [3577, 200, 384]
y_tensor.pt: 30KB, shape [3577]

The simplest approach is the following:

num_classes = 10
decoder = ClassificationDecoder(
    hidden_dim=384,
    n_head=2,
    n_layer=2,
    num_classes=num_classes,
    fingerprint_mode=True,
)

logging.info("Load data")
x_tensor = torch.load("x_tensor.pt")
y_tensor = torch.load("y_tensor.pt")

optimiser = torch.optim.Adam(decoder.parameters(), lr=0.001)
loss_fn = torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss(reduction="sum")

epochs = 5

for j in range(epochs):
    x_audio = x_tensor
    expected_output = y_tensor
    x_text = torch.ones(len(x_audio), 1, 384)
    output = decoder(x_text, x_audio)
    loss = loss_fn(output, expected_output)

logging.info(f"Epoch {j}: {loss:.2f}")
    optimiser.zero_grad()
    logging.info("do loss.backward")
    loss.backward(retain_graph=False)
    logging.info("do optimiser step")
    optimiser.step()

logging.info("Done")

This works and takes at most 15 seconds per epoch.

Then, I tried to upgrade it to use datasets/dataloaders. The new code reads:

num_classes = 10
decoder = ClassificationDecoder(
    hidden_dim=384,
    n_head=2,
    n_layer=2,
    num_classes=num_classes,
    fingerprint_mode=True,
)

logging.info("Load data")
x_tensor = torch.load("x_tensor.pt")
y_tensor = torch.load("y_tensor.pt")

dataset = TensorDataset(x_tensor, y_tensor)
data_loader = DataLoader(dataset, batch_size=500)

optimiser = torch.optim.Adam(decoder.parameters(), lr=0.001)
loss_fn = torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss(reduction="sum")

epochs = 5

for j in range(epochs):
    optimiser.zero_grad()

for data in data_loader:
        x_audio = data[0]
        expected_output = data[1]
        x_text = torch.ones(len(x_audio), 1, 384)
        output = decoder(x_text, x_audio)
        loss = loss_fn(output, expected_output)
        loss.backward(retain_graph=False)

logging.info(f"Epoch {j}: {loss:.2f}")
    optimiser.step()

This also works, but it is significantly slower, even though everything else stays the same. I’ve played around with the batch_size parameter, but in this case 1 epoch takes at least 20 mins (over 60x slow down!) and most of the time is spent at the loss.backward() step.

If anyone could help me out with the following questions, I’d be really grateful:

1. Why is the second solution so much slower? Is there any way to improve the code to make it faster? Is it an inherent feature of datasets/dataloaders or am I using it wrong?
  2. In the future I will want to train on 10x or even 100x more data, which will certainly not fit in my memory (16GB RAM). What is the correct way of dealing with this? Similarly, if at some point I want to train on GPUs, what are the good practices of loading and moving to GPU memory? Any suggestions or references would be welcome :slight_smile:

For the data loading, if you have a very large dataset, loading them into memory at once may not be a good choice since you may not have enough RAM as you said. I think the more reasonable way is loading the index of the dataset (for example, the paths of the image files) into memory and the image/voice files still on the storage (HDD or SSD).

Right, so I fully agree: I am not able to load the entire dataset into memory, so I must load it piece-by-piece during the training.

However, I was hoping to do it while using the dataset/dataloader formalism offered by pytorch. But then it seems that this leads to a significant slow down. And I’m trying to understand, whether it’s my fault or indeed these objects are just inherently slow

If you remove the model forward function, will the processing still slow over 60x times?

Are you using Windows or Linux?

In Windows, the PyTorch dataloader is limited to 1 worker(i.e. num_workers = 0). Whereas in Linux, you can set it up to the number of processors available.

Another consideration when dataloading from storage is to upgrade to an M.2 SSD. That allows for a much faster loading throughput.