Dataparallel error when loss wrapped with model forward fuction

I’m using a model with its loss wrapped within the forward function, like this

Class MyModel():
    def __init__(self):
        # init
    def forward(self, input, target):
        # some computing
        return predict, loss

When I tried to train this model with DataParallel, it throwed some error like this:

File "/home/zhangyu/codes/relation_video/main.py", line 335, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/zhangyu/codes/relation_video/main.py", line 128, in main
    train(train_loader, model, criterion, optimizer, epoch, log_training)
  File "/home/zhangyu/codes/relation_video/main.py", line 175, in train
    model(input_var, box, target_var)
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 491, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py", line 115, in forward
    return self.gather(outputs, self.output_device)
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py", line 127, in gather
    return gather(outputs, output_device, dim=self.dim)
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/scatter_gather.py", line 68, in gather
    return gather_map(outputs)
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/scatter_gather.py", line 55, in gather_map
    return Gather.apply(target_device, dim, *outputs)
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/_functions.py", line 54, in forward
    ctx.input_sizes = tuple(map(lambda i: i.size(ctx.dim), inputs))
  File "/home/zhangyu/anaconda3/envs/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/_functions.py", line 54, in <lambda>
    ctx.input_sizes = tuple(map(lambda i: i.size(ctx.dim), inputs))
RuntimeError: dimension specified as 0 but tensor has no dimensions

Note when I removed the dataparallel and used only one GPU, the model worked fine. When I removed the loss from the return line of the forward function(only return predict), it also worked fine.

So I think there is somgthing wrong with dataparallel and returning loss in forword fuction. Any sugesstions on this?

just as a workaround, what if you modify this as follows:

temp = torch.Tensor([0])
loss = temp + loss
return predict,loss

It seems that dataparallel need the output to have a shape, but the loss in pytorch since 0.4 is a scalar
and does’t have a shape. I modified the return code to

return predict, loss.unsqueeze()

and it works fine.