Dataset location (RuntimeError: Caught RuntimeError in DataLoader worker process 0.)

I have a custom dataset as shown below:

class MyDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, X, y):

self.X = X
        self.y = y

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.y)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        return self.X[idx], self.y[idx]

training_latent_dataset = MyDataset(
    torch.cat(training_latent), torch.cat(training_labels)
)

train_latent_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(
    training_latent_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, **kwargs
)

If the tensors are already on the GPU and I try to iterate over the Dataset, I get this error:

RuntimeError: Caught RuntimeError in DataLoader worker process 0.
Original Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/muammar/miniconda3/envs/py39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/worker.py", line 287, in _worker_loop
    data = fetcher.fetch(index)
  File "/home/muammar/miniconda3/envs/py39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 49, in fetch
    data = [self.dataset[idx] for idx in possibly_batched_index]
  File "/home/muammar/miniconda3/envs/py39/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 49, in <listcomp>
    data = [self.dataset[idx] for idx in possibly_batched_index]
  File "/tmp/ipykernel_356729/3661499099.py", line 11, in __getitem__
    return self.X[idx], self.y[idx]
RuntimeError: CUDA error: initialization error
CUDA kernel errors might be asynchronously reported at some other API call,so the stacktrace below might be incorrect.
For debugging consider passing CUDA_LAUNCH_BLOCKING=1.

If I move the tensors from GPU to CPU when instantiating the MyDataset class, then everything works well:

training_latent_dataset = MyDataset(
    torch.cat(training_latent).cpu(), torch.cat(training_labels).cpu()
)

train_latent_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(
    training_latent_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, **kwargs
)

Is that the expected behavior for the tensors to be in the CPU instead of the GPU? I could not find anything about that in the documentation.

Yes, usually you would load the data on the CPU and push it to the GPU inside the training loop in order to overlap the data loading with the actual model training.
However, if you want to load CUDATensors directly, check the CUDA multiprocessing docs to avoid re-creating a CUDA context, which raises your error.

1 Like

Hi @ptrblck, thanks for your fast reply and the link. That makes sense. I was very confused when I faced this.