Datasets.ImageFolder() targets one hot encoded?

Hi guys,

I’m loading my image dataset (3 classes) with datasets.ImageFolder(), unfortunately the labels are then integers. So for the first class the label is 0, for the second it is 1 and for the last it is 2. I’d like the labels to be one hot encoded tho. Is there a way I can do this with the target_transform property when loading the data?

I’ve tried nn.functinal.one_hot() for example but I always need an input for this functions but I don’t know what to use as an input.

I also tried to use torch.eye(3)[i] where i is the label (0, 1 or 2) but again, i need the target as an input.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you

My provisional fix:

example training loop:

for epoch in range(EPOCHS):
    for i, (images, labels) in tqdm(enumerate(train_dl)):
        images = images.to(device)
        labels = torch.eye(3)[labels].to(device)

preds = model(images)
        loss = loss_func(preds, labels)

optimizer.zero_grad()
        loss.backward()
        optimizer.step()

During every iteration, when pushing the labels to the device (‘cuda’ or ‘cpu’ etc.), a one hot vector is created.
labels = torch.eye(3)[labels].to(device)

torch.eye(3)

'''output:

[[1, 0, 0]
 [0, 1, 0]
 [0, 0, 1]]

'''

torch.eye(3)[0]

'''output:

[1, 0, 0]

'''

So when the label is 0 the one hot vector is [1, 0, 0], for 1 it is [0, 1, 0] and so on.

Still, I’d like a fix using the target_transform attribute tho!

According to the docs target_transform should be callable. Assuming you know the number of classes in advance, something like this should work:

def target_to_oh(target: int) -> List[int]:
    NUM_CLASS = 5  # hard code here, can do partial
    one_hot = [0] * NUM_CLASS
    one_hot[target] = 1
    return one_hot

# Use here
ds = ImageFolder('some/path', target_transform=target_to_oh)

I didn’t try it. May have some errors but conceptually should work

1 Like

Whether u encode them one-hot style (pun intended) or not it’ll still give u the same or similar results.

Still let me tell u what I usually do:
I created a small block of code that iterates through my dataset and assign each label to them as one hot encoded np.eye(3)[Idx] given the directory it belonged to.
Then I saved the entire dataset as a .npy file, then after I load it I convert the numpy instances to tensors (u can also make them tensors from start tho)

I would have posted the sample code here, but I’m currently out and not with my PC at the moment so u’ll have to wait till evening (about 5 hrs from now).

1 Like

Thank you, @Alexey_Demyanchuk
I got an error when trying your code, but then I changed it a bit and it worked like that:

def target_to_oh(target):
    NUM_CLASS = 3  # hard code here, can do partial
    one_hot = torch.eye(NUM_CLASS)[target]
    return one_hot
1 Like