Dealing with variable-length sentences

I’m working on a very simple rnn model and I’ve got variable-length sentences for the input. On every example that I have seen in the past for this issue, they use nn.rnn, gru or lstm, however I’m defining my own model so I don’t know how to use the packed sentence. Below is the relevant part of my code:

x_packed = torch.nn.utils.rnn.pack_padded_sequence(x, lengths, batch_first=True, enforce_sorted=False)
h = rnn1.initHidden()
output, hidden = rnn1(x_packed ,h)

n_hidden = 200

class RNN(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, input_size, hidden_size, output_size):
        super(RNN, self).__init__()

self.hidden_size = hidden_size
        self.x2h = nn.Linear(input_size, hidden_size)
        self.h2h = nn.Linear(hidden_size, hidden_size)
        self.h2o = nn.Linear(hidden_size, output_size)
        self.softmax = nn.Softmax(dim=1)

def forward(self, input, hidden_):

hidden1 = self.x2h(input)
        hidden2 = self.h2h(hidden_)
        hidden = hidden1 + hidden2
        output = self.h2o(hidden)
        output = self.softmax(output)

return output, hidden
    def initHidden(self):
        return torch.zeros(1, self.hidden_size)

rnn1 = RNN(n_vocab, n_hidden, n_vocab)

This code throws an error and I suspect that is because I’m trying to pass all the words at once. The problem is I don’t know how to access to each word in the packed and still exploits the advantages of the function.
My train function, which was working before the packing, is as follows:

def train(text_x_tensor1,label1):#, text_x_tensor2, label2):
    text_x_tensor1, label1 = text_x_tensor1.to(device), label1.to(device)
    rnn1.train()
    hidden_1 = rnn1.initHidden()
    hidden_1 = hidden_1.to(device)
    text_x_tensor1 = text_x_tensor1.permute(1,0,2)
    for i in range(len(text_x_tensor1)): #For each word
        output_1, hidden_1 = rnn1(text_x_tensor1[i], hidden_1) 
    loss1 = criterion(output_1,label1)
    optimizer1.zero_grad()
    loss1.backward()
    torch.nn.utils.clip_grad_norm_(rnn1.parameters(),1)
    optimizer1.step()
    return output_1, loss1,hidden_1

Hoping you can help me,
Marco

I suggest you to go through the following github tutorial by HarshTrivedi, Tushar-N. This tutorial gives detailed explaination of how to use pack_padded_sequence and pad_packed_sequence with RNN arachitectures. pack_padded_sequence give you two things, one is the single array contain embedding of all sequence of all words and second is the length of batch sizes which can be used to determine number of characters in one word. Once you go throgh above links, I think your doubts will be clear about how to handle variable length in your own implementation.

Hi @divyesh_rajpura,

Thanks for your reply! Actually, I’ve been through the tutorial and I think that I have a clear idea of what the function does. The problem is that they use the output of the function directly on a lstm (packed_output, (ht, ct) = lstm(packed_input)). In other words, the function lstm do all the work automatically for the whole sequence of words.
The problem for me, is that I need to do that myself. That is why, in my train function there is a for loop, because I need to run the rnn for each word and at the end take the hidden vector and the output. In a batch scenario, I can’t do that.

Do you have any ideas about how can I do it ??

Thank you again!