Debugging a Custom Handler

I am very new to Torch Serving so please ignore my beginner ignorance.

I am trying to test out a CustomHandler, which in the initialize method receives a Context object.

The context file needs to be provided into the Initialize function.

Now, I am able to create a .mar file using the torch-model-archiver, and also deploy it to a URL using the torchserve --start

However, when I submit requests to it like:

curl http://localhost:8080/predictions/my_tc/1.0 -T input_file.txt

It just hangs. No output.

• The ping API return Healthy for most of the time, and I assume after some time it hits a timeout and starts saying unhealthy.
  • I do see these errors popping up on the logs, I am not sure where they are coming from:
 W-9009-my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG - Backend worker process died.
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG - Traceback (most recent call last):
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG -   File ".../site-packages/ts/model_service_worker.py", line 250, in <module>
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG -     worker = TorchModelServiceWorker(
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG -   File ".../site-packages/ts/model_service_worker.py", line 69, in __init__
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG -     self.port = str(port_num) + LOCAL_RANK
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG - Traceback (most recent call last):
my_tc_1.0-stdout MODEL_LOG - TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "int") to str

• How can I provide the Context file via the command line?

I suppose my questions are:

• When I do a curl http://localhost:8080/predictions/my_tc/1.0 -T input_file.txt What method is called? Which method in the Custom Handler or Base Handler is receiving the input file?
  • What should the input file look like? I think somewhere it was mentioned a Json?
  • Any examples which create the Context file and then pass it for serving?

Thanks a lot!

This is a known bug and it’s been fixed in the nightlies fix tcp port in model_service_worker.py by lxning · Pull Request #2377 · pytorch/serve · GitHub

So in this case this issue is not your fault but if you’re trying to debug a model where the issue is probably yours the most useful to inspect logs/model_log.log

@marksaroufim - Thanks for the reply. Any ideas wrt these questions:

• When I do a curl http://localhost:8080/predictions/my_tc/1.0 -T input_file.txt What method is called?

• Which method in the Custom Handler or Base Handler is receiving the input file?

• What should the input file look like? I think somewhere it was mentioned a Json?
    Any examples which create the Context file and then pass it for serving?

From what I gather on Custom Service — PyTorch/Serve master documentation, the first class is assumed to be the handler and then it calls the relevant functions listed on that page.

NOTE - If you plan to have multiple classes in same python module/file then make sure that handler class is the first in the list

If I don’t see anything showing up in that log, what could be the cause?

If I do a curl request while running “tail -f logs/*.log” I only see the following for my custom model. For the mnist example I see entries coming on for all the expected logs.

==> logs/ts_log.log <==
2023-06-20T07:38:36,108 [INFO ] epollEventLoopGroup-3-3 TS_METRICS - ts_inference_requests_total.Count:1.0|#model_name:EnglishContext,model_version:default|#hostname:app.0,timestamp:1687246716

==> logs/ts_metrics.log <==
2023-06-20T07:38:36,108 - ts_inference_requests_total.Count:1.0|#model_name:EnglishContext,model_version:default|#hostname:app.0,timestamp:1687246716

It usually means there’s some critical failure with torchserve itself, which version are you using @lsmith77 ?

TorchServe Version is 0.8.1

Note the mnist model is working just fine.

hmm @lsmith77 do you mind opening an issue on our github then? Our oncall can help you take a look

It suddenly started to work. I will try to figure out what I did to get it to work.

My custom handler is now called. Only issue is that I am returning a python list but I am always only getting the first element returned. I am using JSONEnvelope, so I am now looking at what is causing this issue. I assume it is related to the batching feature.

OK this to work … but now I am getting “Model "EnglishContext" has no worker to serve inference request. Please use scale workers API to add workers.” but I have no clue why this suddenly is happening.

I now added “default_workers_per_model=1” but it is still the case.

Alright things are working now. I think the root cause was model dependency related (and server running out of disk space). However I do not have a reproduce-able test case.

@marksaroufim does it still make sense to open a ticket?

1 Like