Decoding the different methods for multi-NODE distributed training

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for your time!

I am trying to wrap my head around all of the different distributed training libraries out there, specifically for multi node training. I understand that Pytorch DDP can operate in a multi-node fashion.

Sorry for the vague-ness here… I think I am just having trouble understanding the difference between:

1. torch.DistributedDataParallel
  2. deepspeed
  3. horovod
  4. fairscale
  5. nvidia apex (apex.parallel.DistributedDataParallel)
  6. ray
  7. raySGD
  8. MPI (totally get this for big CPU cluster jobs from like 20 years ago… how does it fit in here?)

The closest I have come to understanding how everything connects is from this blog post:
https://medium.com/distributed-computing-with-ray/faster-and-cheaper-pytorch-with-raysgd-a5a44d4fd220

They say:

You can use one of the integrated tools for doing distributed training like Torch Distributed Data Parallel or tf.Distributed. While these are “integrated”, they are certainly not a walk in the park to use.

Torch’s AWS tutorial demonstrates the many setup steps you’re going to have to follow to simply get the cluster running, and Tensorflow 2.0 has a bunch of issues.

Maybe you might look at something like Horovod, but Horovod is going to require you to fight against antiquated frameworks like MPI and wait a long time for compilation when you launch.

I also watched this video which explains some of the differences:

I was wondering if someone who knows a lot more about this than I do could clear up how #1-#8 relate to each other! And bonus points if you have a good rule of thumb for when to use which one! My/our applications are pretty straightforward - (NLP stuff, image–>text stuff)… just have a ton of data and trying to speed things up by going multi-node… then ran into #1-#8 and got confused and figured maybe clearing it up would help others as well!

Thanks again everyone.

I can’t comment on all libs, but #1 vs. #5:
apex.DDP is deprecated in favor of the native PyTorch DistributedDataParallel. Similar to the mixed-precision training (amp) apex provided DDP while there shouldn’t be any advantage of using it anymore and you should thus switch the the native DDP implementation.