Deserialization error

I saved the object of my trainer class using the torch save method. However, when loading the saved file, the depickle process can’t find “__iterator”, which is a private method inside my “Trainer” class. Because of that, the whole loading process fails. Any idea how to solve or bypass it? I just need to recover the data saved into the attributes of that class.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".conda/envs/py37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 3331, in run_code
    exec(code_obj, self.user_global_ns, self.user_ns)
  File "<ipython-input-1-a5666d77c70f>", line 1, in <module>
    torch.load("snapshots/model.pth", map_location='cpu')
  File ".conda/envs/py37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/serialization.py", line 529, in load
    return _legacy_load(opened_file, map_location, pickle_module, **pickle_load_args)
  File ".conda/envs/py37/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/serialization.py", line 702, in _legacy_load
    result = unpickler.load()
AttributeError: 'Trainer' object has no attribute '__iterator'

Did you store the Trainer instance directly? Also, could you post its definition?

As explained in the serialization docs it’s recommended to store the state_dicts instead of the objects, as changes in the source files might yield to such errors and you would also have to make sure to recreate the same folder structure.

Unfortunately, I saved the entire object, and that is what caused the whole problem. Here there is a piece of code that will generate the problem I’m facing right now.

import torch

class Test:
	def __init__(self):
		self.a = min
		self.b = max
		self.c = self.__private  # buggy

def __private(self):
		return None

test = Test()

torch.save({"test": test}, "file.pkl")
torch.load("file.pkl")

However, if you remove the private attribute from the method, you won’t get any error.

import torch

class Test:
	def __init__(self):
		self.a = min
		self.b = max
		self.c = self.private  # not buggy

def private(self):
		return None

test = Test()

torch.save({"test": test}, "file.pkl")
torch.load("file.pkl")