Difference of methods between torch.nn and functional

Both torch.nn and functional have methods such as Conv2d, Max Pooling, ReLU etc. However, many public codes writes Conv and Linear layer in a class __init__ and call it with ReLU and Pooling in forward(). Is there a good reason for that ?

I am guessing that because Conv and Linear consist of learnable parameters which wrapped within functional module. And then define them in __init__ as members for the class. For ReLU, Pooling which do not require learnable parameters just to be called in forward() method. Is it like that ?

So that it makes things easier to call weight values in run-time e.g. net.conv1.data

10 Likes

Yes, you are spot on. the difference between torch.nn and torch.nn.functional is a matter of convenience and taste. torch.nn is more convenient for methods which have learnable parameters.

17 Likes

Is there some performance difference for layers without learnable parameters (e.g. nn.ReLU vs F.relu)?

Having in mind that in nn I can set inplace=True.

@stared there isn’t any performance difference.

1 Like

Hi @smth,

How about the difference between torch.nn and torch.autograd.Function? thank you for answering my newbie question.

torch.nn is a namespace for a lot of modules as well as the functional API.
torch.autograd.Function can be used to create a new function with a custom forward and backward pass as described here.

2 Likes