DistributedDataParallel modify gradient before averaging

Hi all! I think the “DistributedDataParallel” automatically average the gradient when calling “loss.backward()”. But is it possible to first compute the local gradient of the parameters, then do some modification to the local gradient, and finally average the gradient among the workers?

Thanks!

@anxu tensor.register_hook(customHook) may work for your case, you need to write customHook to modify grad of the tensor

1 Like

Hi Yanli,

I am not sure whether tensor.register_hook will work, but the documentation mentioned that,

Forward and backward hooks defined on module and its submodules won’t be invoked anymore, unless the hooks are initialized in the forward() method.

Besides I need to first collect the whole gradient and then do some modification. Now I am turning to torch.distributed.all_reduce, but it will be easier if there is a way to do this via DistributedDataParallel.

Hi, anxu @anxu , the “DistributedDataParallel” automatically average the gradient when calling “loss.backward()”,
But I didn’t find the corresponding script in pytorch source code, Do you know where it is ?

Hi, Yanli @Yanli_Zhao , the “DistributedDataParallel” automatically average the gradient when calling “loss.backward()”,
But I didn’t find the corresponding script in pytorch source code, Do you know where it is ?

DDP averages gradients by all-reducing them across participating processes (see https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/_modules/torch/distributed/distributed_c10d.html#all_reduce). Some specific bits that include gradient averaging can be found in the allReduce calls here: https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/blob/master/torch/csrc/distributed/c10d/reducer.cpp

@Yanli_Zhao’s solution works great. You can register the hook either before or after DDP’ing the model. Though the docs say that hooks are removed, that’s either not actually the case or it doesn’t apply to hooks on the tensors themselves.

Here’s some demo code:

from torch.nn.parallel import DistributedDataParallel as DDP
from torch import nn
import torch
import os
import torch.distributed as dist
import torch.multiprocessing as mp

def setup(rank, world_size):
    """Setup code comes directly from the docs:  

https://pytorch.org/tutorials/intermediate/ddp_tutorial.html
    """
    os.environ['MASTER_ADDR'] = '127.0.0.1'
    os.environ['MASTER_PORT'] = '29500'

dist.init_process_group("nccl", rank=rank, world_size=world_size)
    torch.manual_seed(42)

def cleanup():
    dist.destroy_process_group()

def pre_average(g):
    print(f'Pre-DDP hook ({g.device}): {g[0, 0]}')

def post_average(g):
    print(f'Post-DDP hook ({g.device}): {g[0, 0]}')

def worker(rank, world_size):
    # Set up multiprocessing stuff
    setup(rank, world_size)

# Create a trivial model 
    model = nn.Linear(1, 1, bias=False).to(rank)
    torch.nn.init.constant_(model.weight, 1.)

# Create some trivial data. 
    # Gradients for x = (1, 2) should be (2, 8)
    x = torch.tensor([rank+1]).float().to(rank)

# Register a hook before and after DDP'ing the model
    model.weight.register_hook(pre_average)
    model = DDP(model, device_ids=[rank])
    model.module.weight.register_hook(post_average)

# Backprop!
    l = model(x).pow(2).sum()
    l.backward()

# Check what's left in the gradient tensors
    print(f'Final ({x.device}): {model.module.weight.grad[0, 0]}')

cleanup()

if  __name__ == '__main__':
    world_size = 2
    mp.spawn(worker,
                args=(world_size,),
                nprocs=world_size,
                join=True) 

Run from the terminal, this should print

Pre-DDP hook  (cuda:0): 2.0
Post-DDP hook (cuda:0): 2.0
Pre-DDP hook  (cuda:1): 8.0
Post-DDP hook (cuda:1): 8.0
Final value   (cuda:0): 5.0
Final value   (cuda:1): 5.0

Hi @anxu, I did some test. Tensor.register_hook() does work in DDP. I first wrap my model with DDP, then I modify the grad manually with a custom function in the forward code where I construct my model:

Here’s the gradients after calling loss.backward():
If don’t modify the grad:
And if modify the grad:
You can see the gradients are just 3 times after being modified, which means .register_hook() works well in DDP.

Hi, I just checked this url you mentioned, and find that the function all_reduce has a default reduction_op SUM. So is the implicit operation SUM or Mean?