Do I need to uninstall cuda 11.6?

Hello,

I have installed cuda 11.6, and realize now that 11.3 is required. Would you recommend to uninstall cuda 11.6 and re-install cuda 11.3?

Thanks in advance!

I guess you are referring to the binaries (pip wheels and conda binaries), which both ship with their own CUDA runtime.
If so, then no you do not need to uninstall your local CUDA toolkit, as the binaries will use their CUDA runtime.
Your local CUDA toolkit will be used if you are building PyTorch from source or a custom CUDA extension. To run the binaries you would only need to install an NVIDIA driver.

Thanks a lot @ptrblck for your quick reply.

Not sure actually if these are the binaries you mentioned

1. I have first installed cuda 11.6 from CUDA Toolkit 11.6 Update 2 Downloads | NVIDIA Developer
  2. I have then realized 11.3 is required whilst downloading Pytorch for windows with pip, python and cuda 11.3. So using this command: pip3 install torch torchvision torchaudio --extra-index-url https://download.pytorch.org/whl/cu113

Yes, I was referring to the pip wheels mentioned in your second step as the “binaries”.
The pip wheels do not require a matching local CUDA toolkit (installed in your first step), as they will use their own CUDA runtime (CUDA 11.3 in your selection), so you can keep your local CUDA toolkit (11.6U2).

1 Like

Thanks again @ptrblck !