Do we need to set a fixed input sentence length when we use padding-packing with RNN?

Do we need to define a fixed sentence length when we’re using padding-packing for RNNs? I just developed a small RNN for text classification and realized (after successfully training+testing) that I haven’t specified a sentence length for the number of input neurons to the RNN. Pytorch did not give any errors.

Am I doing something wrong here? Don’t we have to specify a sentence length in order to define the input length for the RNN?

Please have a look at the following snippets of code I used. Input to the dataloader is a list of variable sized tensors. Eg. [[1, 2, 3], [4, 5]]

class SampleData(Dataset):

def __init__(self, X_data, y_data):
        self.X_data = X_data
        self.y_data = y_data

def __getitem__(self, index):
        return self.X_data[index], self.y_data[index]

def __len__ (self):
        return len(self.X_data)

sample_data = SampleData(X_train, y_train)
sample_loader = DataLoader(sample_data, batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, collate_fn=lambda x:x)

# X_batch
# [[421, 287, 2480, 1961], [399, 2269, 891, 2355, 353, 406, 1310]] 

# y_batch
# [1, 1] 

BATCH_SIZE = 2
EMBEDDING_SIZE = 5
VOCAB_SIZE = len(word2idx)
TARGET_SIZE = len(tag2idx)
HIDDEN_SIZE_SAMPLE = 3
STACKED_LAYERS = 4

class ModelGRU(nn.Module):

def __init__(self, embedding_size, vocab_size, hidden_size, target_size, stacked_layers):
        super(ModelGRU, self).__init__()

self.word_embeddings = nn.Embedding(num_embeddings = vocab_size, embedding_dim = embedding_size)
        self.gru = nn.GRU(input_size = embedding_size, hidden_size = hidden_size, batch_first = True, num_layers=stacked_layers)
        self.linear = nn.Linear(in_features = hidden_size, out_features=1)

def forward(self, x_batch):

len_list = list(map(len, x_batch))
        padded_batch = pad_sequence(x_batch, batch_first=True)
        embeds = self.word_embeddings(padded_batch)

pack_embeds = pack_padded_sequence(embeds, lengths=len_list, batch_first=True, enforce_sorted=False)

rnn_out, rnn_hidden = self.gru(pack_embeds)
        linear_out = self.linear(rnn_hidden)        
        y_out = torch.sigmoid(linear_out)
        y_out = y_out[-1]

return y_out

gru_model = ModelGRUSample(embedding_size=EMBEDDING_SIZE, vocab_size=len(word2idx), hidden_size=HIDDEN_SIZE, target_size=len(tag2idx), stacked_layers=STACKED_LAYERS)

# ModelGRUSample(
#   (word_embeddings): Embedding(2728, 5)
#   (gru): GRU(5, 3, num_layers=4, batch_first=True)
#   (linear): Linear(in_features=3, out_features=1, bias=True)
# )

Everything run perfectly fine. But have a look at the following picture. A sentence with different number of words will lead to having different number of neurons as input to the RNN. But by using padding-packing, I have apparently bypassed that step somehow.

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong. I can’t seem to figure it out.

The sequence length has nothing to do with the number of neurons. The size is all set here:

self.gru = nn.GRU(input_size = embedding_size, hidden_size = hidden_size, batch_first = True, num_layers=stacked_layers)

Your figure shows an “unrolled” RNN, but this is just for visualization behind the recursive nature behind RNNs. Each blue box labeled LSTM is the exact same network.

So, the input is my embedding layer right? And embedding is simply a lookup created for each word in a sentence.

Let’s say my vocab size = 10 and I define my embedding dim = 5. So, each word in my vocab is represented as a 1x5 vector. Now, this vector in input into the RNN.

What I cannot seem to wrap my around is that if I have two sentence of lengths 6 words and 8 words, then I will send vectors of length 6 and 8 to the RNN each of which is a 1x5 vector. But I still have to decide on the input length right?

In PyTorch RNN, seq_len is the length of our input that we want to consider, right? In this case, if seq_len is not deciding the number of neurons, then what is?

The RNN see each word, i.e., a vector of size 5, step by step. If there are 6 words, the RNN sees 6 vectors and then stops. Same with 8 words. Your confusion might stem that LSTM or GRU hides this step-wise processing. You give the model a sequence of a certain lengths, but internally the model loops over the sequence. More words just means more loops before it’s finished.

Obviously, things get problematic with batches if the sequences in a batch have different lengths. One default solutions is to pad all short sequences to the length of the longest sequence.

The size/complexity of the model (the number of neurons of you will, but it’s better to think in number of trainable parameters) of the LSTM/GRU depends on:

• the size of the input (e.g., 5 in your example)
  • the size of the hidden dimension
  • number of layers in case of a stacked LSTM/GRU
  • whether you use uni- or bidirectional.

It does not depend on the sequences lengths. Sure, the processing takes more time for longer sequences.

3 Likes