Does CosineEmbeddingLoss support multidimensional input tensor?

Suppose I have a feature map of size 10x10, where each element is a 2D embedding, and I want to calculate the cosine embedding loss of two such tensors (2x10x10).

I tried the following approach,

loss_func = nn.CosineEmbeddingLoss()
a = Variable(torch.randn([1,2,10,10]), requires_grad=True)
b = Variable(torch.randn([1,2,10,10]), requires_grad=True)
c = Variable(torch.from_numpy(np.ones([1,10,10])), requires_grad=False)
loss = loss_func(a, b, c)
loss.backward()

however, an error popped out,

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/ryli/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/variable.py", line 167, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, retain_variables)
  File "/home/ryli/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 99, in backward
    variables, grad_variables, retain_graph)
  File "/home/ryli/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/function.py", line 91, in apply
    return self._forward_cls.backward(self, *args)
  File "/home/ryli/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/function.py", line 205, in wrapper
    outputs = fn(ctx, *tensor_args)
  File "/home/ryli/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/nn/_functions/loss.py", line 74, in backward
    _idx = _idx.view(-1, 1).expand(gw1.size())
RuntimeError: The expanded size of the tensor (10) must match the existing size (100) at non-singleton dimension 2. at /pytorch/torch/lib/TH/generic/THTensor.c:309

If I did everything correctly, does this mean that CosineEmbeddingLoss currently does not support multidimensional embedding? If so, is there a better work-around than explicitly calculating the loss for every location and summing them up?

Thanks in advance!

System information:

• PyTorch version: 0.3.0.post4
  • Python version: 2.7.12

Are you trying to treat the (10x10) tensors as (100) tensors for the purpose of cosine similarity? In that case you can use view() to create a view that is of the correct shape.
http://pytorch.org/docs/master/tensors.html#torch.Tensor.view

However, the shape of your label tensor c suggests that you might be trying to take cosine similarity along the 1st dimension (0 indexed). In that case you could use permute() or transpose().
http://pytorch.org/docs/master/tensors.html#torch.Tensor.transpose

I have the same question, but in an even simpler case. How to get the loss comparing 2 batches of strings…

This works fine…

def test_cosine_embedding_loss(self):
        seq = Variable(torch.randn(1, 5).double())
        model = nn.Linear(5, 5).double()
        target = Variable(seq.data.clone())
        output = model(seq)
        criterion = torch.nn.CosineEmbeddingLoss()
        mask = Variable(torch.ones(1), requires_grad=False)
        loss = criterion(output, target, mask)
        print(loss)
        loss.backward()

But this fails…

seq = Variable(torch.randn(1, 1, 5).double())
        output = model(seq)
        mask = Variable(torch.ones(1, 1), requires_grad=False)
        print(loss)
        loss.backward()

Error

RuntimeError: inconsistent tensor size, expected src [1 x 5] and mask [1 x 1] to have the same number of elements, but got 5 and 1 elements respectively at d:\pytorch\pytorch\torch\lib\th\generic/THTensorMath.c:197

Ok… so then. like the error says do…

seq = Variable(torch.randn(1, 1, 5).double())
        output = model(seq)
        mask = Variable(torch.ones(1, 5), requires_grad=False)
        print(loss)
        loss.backward()

And we get…

RuntimeError: The expanded size of the tensor (1) must match the existing size (5) at non-singleton dimension 1. at d:\pytorch\pytorch\torch\lib\th\generic/THTensor.c:309

There’s not a lot in the documenation that says what the expected dims of the 3rd parameter is supposed to be… Anyone got this working?

Cosine embedding loss only supports 2-D tensors. The tensors you’re trying to pass in are 3-D. (I’ll take a look to see if we should make this clear in docs, error messages, and if we should support higher dim)

Thanks Roy,

3D would make sense in the case of batches of strings

for example…

(batch, sequence, character_embeddings)

I guess to do this in 2D, you would split the batch dimension and compute the loss one at a time?

Yeah I think it makes sense to support higher dimensions. I’ll add it in at some point. In the meantime, you can use .view() to create a view of your tensor that is of the correct shape.