Does Pytorch 0.2.0 still support cudnn 5.1 and how to manage different versions of cudnn?

Hi there,

I have a question as shown in the title.

First, does Pytorch 0.2.0 still support Cudnn 5.1? I have some Torch code to run, but currently Torch only support cudnn5.1, as far as I know. SO I install cudnn 5.1 globally in my CUDA installation folder.

I then install pytorch using,

conda install pytorch torchvision cuda80 -c soumith

But when I check within Pytorch cudnn version using,

torch.backends.cudnn.version()

It shows cudnn version of 6021. But I do not have cudnn 6.0 installed. SO does Pytorch install cudnn 6.0 automatically. Or i will run into problem when I actually run some pytorch code?

Cheers

1 Like

pytorch binaries ship with their own version of cudnn. you can safely use system cudnn 5.1 with torch and pytorch will use its own cudnn 6

1 Like

Hi @smth,

Thanks for the clarification. Any plan to make Torch support Cudnn 6 or even Cudnn 7 in the future as well? I think Pytorch is very great, but I still have quite a lot torch code to run.

Cheers,

So if I understand this correctly, it is not necessary to download CUDNN explicitly by registering for the NVIDIA Dev program and downloading it oneself anymore?

Also last I checked CUDNN had something like per-person licensing, so how does this work?

Did I get something wrong here?

@Martin_Mundt

it is not necessary to download CUDNN explicitly by registering for the NVIDIA Dev program and downloading it oneself anymore?

No, not needed.

Also last I checked CUDNN had something like per-person licensing, so how does this work?

CuDNN, like CUDA now has a redistributable clause.

1 Like

@ShuokaiPan please check cudnn.torch branch R6 for CuDNN 6 support.

So just to clarify:
With PyTorch version 2, there is no need for a system wide cuDNN installation? if that is the case, which cuDNN version does PyTorch ship with?

Thanks,

all pytorch versions ship with their own CuDNN, pytorch never required a system CuDNN. 0.2.0 pytorch ships with cudnn 6.0.21

2 Likes

How could one see the version of CUDA, CuDNN and any other library used by PyTorch?

Thank You.