Dual Loss Calculation Failed. RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation

So, What i am basically trying to do can be summarized below.

I want to reconstruct the parameter values of the weight of a convolutional layer and want to optimize the network on both this reconstruction loss and categorial cross-entropy loss. It works fine only while optimizing on cross-entropy loss but fails when I add the reconstruction loss. Basically the gradient is not passing through the NN(Neural Net) to update it’s parameter. I want it’s weight to get updated.

The network that I build was like below,

class MODEL(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(MODEL, self).__init__()

self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=3, out_channels=64, kernel_size=(3,3), padding=1)
        self.max_pool1 = nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=(3,3))
        self.reBuilder = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=3, out_channels=3, kernel_size=(5,5), padding=2)
        self.lossfn = torch.nn.L1Loss(reduction="mean")

self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=64, out_channels=256, kernel_size=(3,3), padding=1)
        self.max_pool2 = nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=(3,3))
        self.conv3 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=256, out_channels=512, kernel_size=(3,3), padding=1)
        self.max_pool3 = nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=(3,3))

self.dense = nn.Linear(in_features=512, out_features=10)

def forward(self, x):
        ckpt = self.state_dict()

weight = ckpt["conv1.weight"].detach().clone().permute((3,2,1,0)) #output_shape (3,3,3,64)
        weightNew = self.reBuilder(weight)
        loss = self.lossfn(weightNew, weight)

weightNew = weightNew.permute((3, 2, 1, 0))
        weightFinal = weightNew.detach().clone()

ckpt["conv1.weight"] = weightFinal
        self.load_state_dict(ckpt)

x = self.conv1(x)
        x = self.max_pool1(x)
        x = self.conv2(x)
        x = self.max_pool2(x)
        x = self.conv3(x)
        x = self.max_pool3(x)
        x = torch.flatten(x, start_dim=1)
        x = self.dense(x)

return x, loss

The forward and backward pass code is like,

model = MODEL()
criterion = nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss().to("cuda")

outputs, recoLoss = model(images)
ceLoss = criterion(outputs, targets)
loss = ceLoss + recoLoss
loss.backward()
optimizer.step()

If loss contains only ceLoss it works. But when I add recoLoss term it gives the following error.

"RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.cuda.FloatTensor [3, 3, 5, 5]] is at version 2; expected version 1 instead. Hint: enable anomaly detection to find the operation that failed to compute its gradient, with torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly(True)."

basically it is saying that, the parameters of the NN(in picture) or self.reBuilder in code have been modified already.
Can anyone help me in this regard?

Can you replace the .detach().clone() with just .clone().

Also, if you load a state_dict during the forward pass surely that would overwrite all your weights? (And probably cause an in-place error as I think load_state_dict works in-place)