Efficiently initialize lstm weights

How would pytorch devs recommend initializing weights of an lstm class?

For my application, I am implementing Figure 2b in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1511.04119.pdf and I am initializing the lstm weights from a normal distribution with 0 mean and unit variance. I find that using named_parameters to initialize the weights seems to be doing some sort of tail recursion in the backend and this quickly leads to stackoverflow:

line 372, in named_parameters
    for name, p in module.named_parameters(memo, submodule_prefix):
  File "/home/lex/anaconda2/envs/py27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 370, in named_parameters
    for mname, module in self.named_children():
  File "/home/lex/anaconda2/envs/py27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 390, in named_children
    for name, module in self._modules.items():
  File "/home/lex/anaconda2/envs/py27/lib/python2.7/collections.py", line 127, in items
    return [(key, self[key]) for key in self]
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

Here is the offending code:

inLSTM1 = torch.mul(lt[0], feat_cube[0]).view(1,1,-1)  #will have 2048 connections
    regress = RecurrentModel(inputSize=inLSTM1.size(2), nHidden=[inLSTM1.size(2),1024, 64*32],\
                             noutputs=64*32,batchSize=args.cbatchSize, ship2gpu=args.ship2gpu, \
                             numLayers=1)
    #use normal initialization for regression layer
    for name, weights in regress.named_parameters():
        init.uniform(weights, 0, 1)
    y1, l3in = regress(inLSTM1)

inLSTM3 = torch.mul(l3in[0], feat_cube[2].view(1, 1, -1))
    #reshape last lstm layer
    regress.lstm3 = nn.LSTM(1024, 64*64, 1, bias=False, batch_first=False, dropout=0.3)
    for name, weights in regress.lstm3.named_parameters():
    y3, l2in = regress(inLSTM3)

inLSTM2 = torch.mul(l2in[0], feat_cube[1].view(1, 1, -1))
    # Fix layers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  | layers 0 and 2 have unique shapes
    regress.lstm1 = nn.LSTM(64*64, 64*64, 1, bias=False, batch_first=False, dropout=0.3)
    regress.lstm2 = nn.LSTM(64*64, 64*16, 1, bias=False, batch_first=False, dropout=0.3)
    regress.lstm3 = nn.LSTM(64*16, 64*64, 1, bias=False, batch_first=False, dropout=0.3)
    for name, weights in regress.named_parameters():
    y2, l4in = regress(inLSTM2)

Doing this

for m in regress.modules():
        if(isinstance(m, nn.LSTM)):
            mvals = m.state_dict().values()
            init.uniform(mvals[0], 0, 1)
            init.uniform(mvals[1], 0, 1)

does not help either.

Turns out the problem is due to the amount of parameters I am initializing the lstm model with. When I reduce the amount of parameters in layers 2 and 3 respectively. e.g by a factor of 80 and 120 from the output of the previous layers respectively, the maximum recursion depth error vanishes.

I wouldn’t think 18000 parameters in an LSTM model should overwhelm the python stack given that most users would want deep models with such numbers. Perhaps something the pytorch devs might want to look into.

I don’t know the solution but it doesn’t seem there should be anything recursive when initialising weights.