Error when attempting to access XLA tensor.shape

Dear PyTorch Community,

The source code for this question can be found here:
Google Colab Notebook saved into my Public Github Repository

I have been attempting to train a PyTorch model using the PyTorch XLA device (TPU) in Google Colab, but an Error is preventing me from completing it.

After a few different attempts of debugging the issue, I modified my _visual_to_stacked_tensor in the DataCollator to the code below, in the attempt to print the shape and device of the vectors, to ensure they were all instantiated in the TPU device:

def _visual_to_stacked_tensor(self, videos: List[torch.Tensor]) -> torch.Tensor:
        """
        Stack together tensors representing feature vectors of images.

:param record: The list of individual tensors for visual data
        :return: The collated visual data as a tensor of shape (batch_size, *visual_in_features)
        """
        print("data collator, visual:")
        for v in videos:
          print((v.device, v.shape))
        return torch.stack(videos, dim=0)

However, an exception is exploding while trying to print the shape of one of the vectors.

My dataset is fairly large (it’s the MELD Dataset) and I load the entire dataset into the TPU device at the start. It must take something around ~40GB. I did I had no problems with the tensors themselves being on the target device before I started processing.

However, due to the size of the dataset I’m loading into the TPU device, I’m suspicious that the TPU device is running out of memory for any of the training operations, such as creating the model parameters that must will be trained. However, I don’t see anything that shows that to be the case to me.

Would anybody here know what it could be?

Error message=

Using cache found in /root/.cache/torch/hub/pytorch_vision_v0.6.0
Exception in thread Thread-22 (_loader_worker):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/threading.py", line 1016, in _bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/threading.py", line 953, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/torch_xla/distributed/parallel_loader.py", line 140, in _loader_worker
    _, data = next(data_iter)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/accelerate/data_loader.py", line 384, in __iter__
    current_batch = next(dataloader_iter)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 633, in __next__
    data = self._next_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 677, in _next_data
    data = self._dataset_fetcher.fetch(index)  # may raise StopIteration
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 54, in fetch
    return self.collate_fn(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/trainer_utils.py", line 704, in __call__
    return self.data_collator(features)
  File "/content/src/hlm12erc/training/erc_data_collator.py", line 53, in __call__
    x_visual = self._visual_to_stacked_tensor([r.visual for r in batch])
  File "/content/src/hlm12erc/training/erc_data_collator.py", line 72, in _visual_to_stacked_tensor
    print((v.device, v.shape))
RuntimeError: torch_xla/csrc/tensor.cpp:173 : Check failed: data()->tensor_data 
*** Begin stack trace ***
	tsl::CurrentStackTrace()
	torch_xla::XLATensor::shape() const
	torch_xla::XLATensorImpl::SetupSizeProperties()
	torch_xla::XLATensorImpl::sym_sizes_custom() const
	THPSize_NewFromSymSizes(at::Tensor const&)
	THPVariable_get_shape(THPVariable*, void*)
	_PyObject_GenericGetAttrWithDict
	PyObject_GetAttr
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyObject_FastCallDictTstate
	_PyObject_Call_Prepend

_PyObject_MakeTpCall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyObject_FastCallDictTstate
	_PyObject_Call_Prepend

_PyObject_MakeTpCall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

*** End stack trace ***

data collator, visual:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-18-7649775cb42d> in <cell line: 1>()
----> 1 baseline_model_name, baseline_model_instance = train_model(
      2     "baseline",
      3     n_epochs=15,
      4     batch_size=32,
      5     device=tpu)

6 frames
/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/torch_xla/core/xla_model.py in mark_step(wait)
    947         file=sys.stderr,
    948         flush=True)
--> 949   torch_xla._XLAC._xla_step_marker(
    950       torch_xla._XLAC._xla_get_default_device(), [],
    951       wait=xu.getenv_as('XLA_SYNC_WAIT', bool, wait))

RuntimeError: torch_xla/csrc/xla_graph_executor.cpp:523 : Check failed: tensor_data 
*** Begin stack trace ***
	tsl::CurrentStackTrace()
	torch_xla::XLAGraphExecutor::CollectSyncTensors(std::vector<c10::intrusive_ptr<torch_xla::XLATensor, c10::detail::intrusive_target_default_null_type<torch_xla::XLATensor> >, std::allocator<c10::intrusive_ptr<torch_xla::XLATensor, c10::detail::intrusive_target_default_null_type<torch_xla::XLATensor> > > > const&, torch::lazy::LazyGraphExecutor::SyncTensorsConfig const&)
	torch_xla::XLAGraphExecutor::SyncTensorsGraphInternal(std::vector<c10::intrusive_ptr<torch_xla::XLATensor, c10::detail::intrusive_target_default_null_type<torch_xla::XLATensor> >, std::allocator<c10::intrusive_ptr<torch_xla::XLATensor, c10::detail::intrusive_target_default_null_type<torch_xla::XLATensor> > > >*, absl::lts_20220623::Span<std::string const>, torch::lazy::LazyGraphExecutor::SyncTensorsConfig const&, bool)
	torch_xla::XLAGraphExecutor::SyncTensorsGraph(std::vector<c10::intrusive_ptr<torch_xla::XLATensor, c10::detail::intrusive_target_default_null_type<torch_xla::XLATensor> >, std::allocator<c10::intrusive_ptr<torch_xla::XLATensor, c10::detail::intrusive_target_default_null_type<torch_xla::XLATensor> > > >*, absl::lts_20220623::Span<std::string const>, bool, bool, bool)
	torch_xla::XLAGraphExecutor::SyncLiveTensorsGraph(torch::lazy::BackendDevice const*, c10::ArrayRef<std::string>, bool)

_PyObject_MakeTpCall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

PyObject_Call

_PyObject_MakeTpCall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

PyEval_EvalCode

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

PyObject_Call
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault

PyEval_EvalCode

_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall
	_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
	_PyFunction_Vectorcall

Py_RunMain
	Py_BytesMain

__libc_start_main
	_start
*** End stack trace ***

A single TPU node has 16GB (V2) - 32GB (V3/V4) of HBM memory, so loading the 40GB dataset all at once sounds problematic. However, while quickly looking through the MeldDataset implementation, I realized that the entire dataset is first loaded into the host memory as a DF – maybe that’s why it didn’t OOM? The other thing would be to make sure that each record and its tensors are on TPU device. It it’s on a XLA (TPU) device, then

RuntimeError: torch_xla/csrc/tensor.cpp:173 : Check failed: data()->tensor_data 

this shouldn’t happen and I can help you debug it further.

Thank you for your response, Yeounoh_Chung.

I might not have made clear enough in my previous message but loading the entire dataset into the TPU device was not my first approach, and is not the one I will ship. It was just a way to fully isolate the data loading from the rest of the training loop. I was aware of the hardware limitations.

The code has moved around slightly in that repository as we speak (I tried to provide a permament link, but it doesn’t look like it worked), but my description is accurate to the scenario I experienced, while the code link can only give you an idea of how it’s happening. Apollogies for a not sufficiently accurate snapshot of the situation.

The same error did ocurr during the training loop (as you can see in the code, I’m using the HuggingFace Trainer), and I had a similar print(tensor.shape) in the code, resulting exactly in the same exception.

I appreciate that I lack enough information for a formal diagnostic here, but due to time constraints I had to move on from using XLA (and TPUs) and I successfully run my experiments using CUDA/GPU. But before I moved, I tried to provide the best information I could give you in how this error occurred, given that this might be a problem tha the XLA team is already chasing, or will be in future.

Appreciate the attention.

Thanks @hudsonmendes I am sorry to hear that you moved to GPU. Let me know if you would like to try again on TPU, I would love to work with you to unblock you – though, I would also need your help to repro. Some references, FWIW

1 Like