Expand vs Repeat: Semantic Difference?

Hi,

How do the below two ways of extending a batch_size x feature_size tensor differ?

visual_feature = visual_feat.expand([batch_size,batch_size,self.feature_size])
text_feature = sentence_embed.repeat(1,1,batch_size).view(batch_size,batch_size,self.feature_size)
1 Like

Hi,

• expand() will never allocate new memory. And so require the expanded dimension to be of size 1.
  • repeat() will always allocate new memory and the repeated dimension can be of any size.
9 Likes

Hi, regarding the same question, will it have any impact on results if we choose expand() over repeat()?

I am trying to learn pairwise relation within a list of vector (say Nxd). I want it to be learnable so I expand Nxd tensor to NxNxd and concat it to itself such as every vector is concatenated to every other vector resulting in NxNx2d tensor. I could use repeat() or expand() to obtain such tensor.

Keeping memory limitations in my mind, I used expand() but when I learn my model, I see the scores are same in every row where I was expecting to be diverse.

Do you think it could be because expand() does not allocate new memory?

Hi,

I didn’t understand you description fully, but it is easy to check: just replace it with repeat and see if you have the same behavior?

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

Let me be more clear in explaining what I am trying to do here:
For an Nxd tensor, I want to learn self-attention scores for each possible pair.
I construct an NxNx2d tensor by doing the following:

def tile_concat(self, in1, in2):
        assert (in1.shape == in2.shape)
        b, n, d = in1.shape
        t1 = in1.unsqueeze(2).repeat(1, 1, n, 1)
        t2 = in2.unsqueeze(1).repeat(1, n, 1, 1)
        out = torch.cat([t1, t2], -1)
        return out

where in1 and in2 are two different projections of same Nxd tensor.

I used a fully connected layer to map NxNx2d tensor to NxNx1, followed by a row-wise softmax to get probability scores.

Which are then used to obtain weighted encoding of Nxd size.

I hope this gives a more clear picture.
Learning NxN matrix gives me same scores in each row. I have replaced torch.expand() with torch.repeat() now and training my model again.

But I doubt that it should cause any issue like I am having. Can you point to any other problem which may cause such a behavior?
Thansk in advance!