Expected input batch_size (3) to match target batch_size (162) for text classification

This is my first time working on a multilabel text classification with Bert, and the model I used is BertForSequenceClassification

for epoch in tqdm(range(1, epochs+1)):

model.train()

loss_train_total = 0

progress_bar = tqdm(dataloader_train, desc='Epoch {:1d}'.format(epoch), leave=False, disable=False)
for batch in progress_bar:

model.zero_grad()

batch = tuple(b.to(device) for b in batch)

# print(batch[0].size())
    # print(batch[1].size())
    # print(batch[2].size())
    inputs = {'input_ids':      batch[0],
              'attention_mask': batch[1],
              'labels':         batch[2],
             }       

outputs = model(**inputs)

loss = outputs[0]
    loss_train_total += loss.item()
    loss.backward()

torch.nn.utils.clip_grad_norm_(model.parameters(), 1.0)

optimizer.step()
    scheduler.step()

progress_bar.set_postfix({'training_loss': '{:.3f}'.format(loss.item()/len(batch))})

torch.save(model.state_dict(), f'data_volume/finetuned_BERT_epoch_{epoch}.model')

tqdm.write(f'\nEpoch {epoch}')

loss_train_avg = loss_train_total/len(dataloader_train)            
tqdm.write(f'Training loss: {loss_train_avg}')

val_loss, predictions, true_vals = evaluate(dataloader_validation)
val_f1 = f1_score_func(predictions, true_vals)
tqdm.write(f'Validation loss: {val_loss}')
tqdm.write(f'F1 Score (Weighted): {val_f1}')

But this results in the error about batch size for the line: “outputs = model(**inputs)”

When printing out the dimension
print(batch[0].size())
print(batch[1].size())
print(batch[2].size())

I got
torch.Size([3, 133])
torch.Size([3, 133])
torch.Size([3, 54])
where 54 is the number of classes I am having.

I saw some solution about how the target batch_size could be platten the tensor. The number 162 is coming from 3*54.

I also saw the solution “Use target = torch.argmax(target, dim=1) to create the expected target tensor.” but I am not sure how to do this and where to do this in my code.

Thank you in advance.

If your target is one-hot encoded then creating the class indices via torch.argnax would be the right approach. Apply it on the target before passing it to the loss function, which would be nn.CrossentropyLoss or nn.NLLLoss for a multi-class classification. In case you are working on a multi-label classification where each sample belongs to zero, one, or multiple classes, use nn.BCELossWithLogitsLoss and pass the target in the same shape as your model outputs.

I have tried this code

outputs = model(**inputs)
loss_fct = torch.nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss()
loss = loss_fct(outputs, inputs[‘labels’])

However, I still got the same error on the line outputs = model(**inputs), so I would assume that maybe the problem is in the model? I checked for the dimension of all three batch, which is [3, 133], [3, 133], and [3, 54] (seems right). I also checked to pad every input to the same length of 133. I am not sure why the code is treating the target as dimension 3*54=162.

If I tried “batch[2] = torch.argmax(batch[2], dim=1)” then the line “outputs = model(**inputs)” ran smoothly. However, I am working on a multi-label problem so using torch.argmax would be unsuitable in this case.

If the model’s forward pass raises the error it seems the model itself is already calculating the loss and is thus also expecting to receive a target tensor. I don’t know which model you are using but you might need to check the model definition to see if you could change the use case to a multi-label classification setup as it seems it’s hard-coded to a multi-class classification.