FasterRCNN training including loss, evaluation, and criterion

Hi, I put together a FasterRCNN trainer that can load a directory of my own images and accompanying xml files that contain the tags and bounding boxes for each image. I used this page: https://pytorch.org/tutorials/intermediate/torchvision_tutorial.html and others to figure out how to do it.

It appears to be working, i.e. it runs and seems to tune the pretrained model loaded with torchvision.models.detection.fasterrcnn_resnet50_fpn(pretrained=True) but my results continue to be pretty terrible, even with over 800 training images. It does detect my objects correctly in some images, but in others that would seem to be easy it is completely lost. What I’m not completely sure about is how I’m performing the training and evaluation for each epoch.

For example, with the simpler image classification models, you do something like the train_model() function from this tutorial page: https://pytorch.org/tutorials/beginner/transfer_learning_tutorial.html. If you’ll notice in that function, there are these lines:

_, preds = torch.max(outputs, 1)
loss = criterion(outputs, labels)

along with the tracking of running loss, running correct guesses, and epoch loss, and if the epoch loss is better for a particular epoch, the best model weights are copied into the model: best_model_wts = copy.deepcopy(model.state_dict()) and then the best model weights are loaded before the model is returned from training and evaluation. This method makes it seem like it’s getting the best possible trained model by the end.

However, with training FasterRCNN I cannot figure out how to use the criterion() method at all, how to get a torch.max() in there, how to add up the running correct guesses, or how to do the epoch losses. Here is my train_one_epoch() method, cobbled together from various tutorials, stack overflow questions, and github projects:

def train_one_epoch(model, criterion, optimizer, dataloader, epoch):
    model.train()
    print("Epoch: " + str(epoch) + "/" + str(number_of_epochs))

lr_scheduler = None
    len_dataloader = len(dataloader)

if epoch == 0:
        warmup_factor = 1. / 1000
        warmup_iters = min(1000, len(dataloader) - 1)

lr_scheduler = warmup_lr_scheduler(optimizer, warmup_iters, warmup_factor)

i = 0

with torch.set_grad_enabled(True):
        for images, targets in dataloader:
            i += 1

optimizer.zero_grad()

images = list(img.to(device) for img in images)
            targets = [{k: v.to(device) for k, v in t.items()} for t in targets]

loss_dict = model(images, targets)

losses = sum(loss for loss in loss_dict.values())

loss_value = losses.item()

# if loss is infinite we got problems
            if not math.isfinite(loss_value):
                print("Loss is {}, stopping training".format(loss_value))
                print(losses)
                exit()

losses.backward()
            optimizer.step()

if lr_scheduler is not None:
                lr_scheduler.step()

if (i % 6 == 0):
                print(f'Iteration: {i}/{len_dataloader}, Loss: {losses}')

and here is my evaluate() method:

def evaluate(model, dataloader):
    model.eval()

running_loss = 0.0
    loss_value = 0.0

for images, targets in dataloader:
        images = list(img.to(device) for img in images)
        targets = [{k: v.to(device) for k, v in t.items()} for t in targets]

with torch.no_grad():
            loss_dict = model(images)

# this returned object from the model:
            # len is 4 (so index here), which is probably because of the size of the batch
            # loss_dict[index]['boxes']
            # loss_dict[index]['labels']
            # loss_dict[index]['scores']
            for x in range(image_batch_size):
                loss_value += sum(loss for loss in loss_dict[x]['scores'])

running_loss += loss_value

return running_loss

As you can see, all evaluate does is change the model into eval() mode and then do a run on a smaller set (than the training set) of loaded evaluation images. Nothing is done with that returned running_loss from evaluate() except that it is printed out to the console. For the training to be truly effective, does the criterion() method need to be called during training, and do the best model weights and the running missed guesses and losses need to be calculated? Or are my results just terrible because it’s possible my training set isn’t good enough and I need to find better images of objects? Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Hi damonbla,

Faster RCNN from torchvision is built upon several submodels and two of them are trained in the process:
-A RPN for computing proposal regions (computes absence or presence of classes + region proposals)
-A FasterRCNN Predictor (computes object classes + box coordinates).

These submodels are already implementing the loss function that you can find in the associated papers and therefore, you don’t need to bother.
More, it appears that you cannot use your own loss function with the current torchvision implementation.

To understand how it is trained, I encourage you to read the function “train_one_epoch” on github which is used in the tutorial to train the fasterrcnn_resnet50_fpn:

I am new to pytorch so I may be wrong, so if you found out something different don’t hesitate to correct me.

Cheers,
Tristan

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply! Since posting this I have seen that train_one_epoch() function, and actually, multiple slightly different versions of it that people had implemented. It was hard to figure out which one to go by.

In any event my code now essentially just does what that one does, and it’s good to know others had done similar (and that I’m not doing something wrong). I had also discovered since posting this that my training results were suffering thanks to my annotations being slightly incorrect for the training images I was using.

2 Likes