Getting differing speeds on forward pass with different weights

If I use different weights for the same network, the forward pass speeds are very different. One takes around 0.017s the other takes 0.6s I am unsure why this is happening. Both the weights file have the same size (101M).

The first one is provided by author of a repository, while the other is just retrained. So I am guessing the pytorch version while saving the first model would have been different. So I am wondering if there is anything extra that needs to be done while using torch.save in pytorch 1.0

How do you time your code? Is it the CPU or GPU time?
Are you using exactly the same code and just swap the weights?
If so, could you provide these weights, so that we could try to replicate this issue?

I am sorry, I should have done that in the first place. This is the repository. GitHub - amdegroot/ssd.pytorch: A PyTorch Implementation of Single Shot MultiBox Detector. Here is another issue which has the same problem use .pth trained by myself to run eval.py is too slow · Issue #215 · amdegroot/ssd.pytorch · GitHub

I have created a fork here to reproduce the bug: GitHub - TheShadow29/ssd.pytorch: A PyTorch Implementation of Single Shot MultiBox Detector.

I simply downloaded VOC2007, and VOC2012, extracted them and then create a symlink to the VOCdevkit in the folder data/ after setting up VOC dataset. I think there is should be an easier approach, but that would require a bit more changes to the code so I have not done that.

Then download pre-trained weight GitHub - amdegroot/ssd.pytorch: A PyTorch Implementation of Single Shot MultiBox Detector from here and put it into the weights folder

Then in eval2.py I just do a forward pass using pre-trained weights and without loading any weights.

Here is my eval2.py code

if __name__ == '__main__':                                                                                                      
    # load net                                                                                                                  
    num_classes = len(labelmap) + 1                      # +1 for background                                                    
    net = build_ssd('test', 300, num_classes)            # initialize SSD                                                       
    net.cuda()                                                                                                                  
    net.eval()                                                                                                                  
    st_time = time.time()                                                                                                       
    o = net(torch.rand(1, 3, 300, 300))                                                                                         
    print(time.time() - st_time)                                                                                                

if args.trained_model:                                                                                                      
        print('Loading Existing Model', args.trained_model)                                                                     
        net.load_state_dict(torch.load(args.trained_model))                                                                     

net.cuda()                                                                                                                  
    net.eval()                                                                                                                  
    st_time = time.time()                                                                                                       
    o = net(torch.rand(1, 3, 300, 300))                                                                                         
    print(time.time() - st_time)                                                                                                                                                                                        

Then I run
python eval2.py --trained_model weights/ssd300_mAP_77.43_v2.pth

And this is the output:

Firs is the time for forward pass of the network without weights loaded, second is with weights loaded.

Let me know if there is something missing in the setup.

Thanks for the information.
Something seems to be strange in your current code.
It seems you are pushing the model to the GPU, but are passing CPU tensors.
Is it a typo in the posted code or am I missing something, e.g. a push to the device in the forward method?

Also, if you are trying to time CUDA calls, note that they are asynchronous.
That means you should call torch.cuda.synchronize() before starting and stopping the timer.
Could you add these lines of code and time it again? I would just want to make sure it’s not a timing issue.

Good point. Interestingly, after running the program, if I do

a = torch.rand(1, 3, 300, 300)
a.type()

I get torch.cuda.FloatTensor(). Here is the relevant screenshot

Not sure, why this is happening. This is why it didn’t raise a bug even though it should have been a cpu tensor since it is residing in the gpu.

Not sure if I am following you. Even if it was so, the same should happen for both of them.

I have added torch.cuda.synchronize() before both start and end time. The results are still the same unfortunately.

I have pushed the changes to git repo as well. (GitHub - TheShadow29/ssd.pytorch: A PyTorch Implementation of Single Shot MultiBox Detector)

The default type is set at the beginning of the script, so that should be alright,

It’s sometimes hard to tell which operations are still being executed in the background and might therefore influence the timing. Apparently, the synch calls do not change anything.
Do you see the same speed difference on the CPU or just using the GPU?

There still seems to be a difference in speeds even on CPU

But it is smaller than what it was previously

I also tried to do a full run of eval.py. The evaluation for the pretrained networks takes around 15 mins, while the other one takes more than 2 hours.

That sounds really weird. I’ll try to reproduce it and have a look at it.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve reproduced the timing issue, profiled your code using torch.utils.bottleneck, and it seems run with random weights just performs a lot more calls to layers/box_utils.py.
It’s a guess as I’m not familiar with the code, but I think the random weights just might create a lot of more detection candidates which are evaluated one after the other.
Could you confirm the assumption?

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. I didn’t realize that nms was being called in the forward method itself. nms contains a while loop, which is causing the time difference. Thank you.

2 Likes