Getting gradient of two losses

I am trying to get the gradients of two losses in the following code snippet but all I get is None (AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘data’)

img = img.to(device)
#img.requires_grad = True
input = model(img)
input_prediction = input.max(1, keepdim=True)[1]

btarget = torch.tensor(2).unsqueeze(0).to(device)
x_prime.requires_grad = True
x_prime_output = model(x_prime)
x_prime_pred =  x_prime_output.max(1, keepdim=True)[1]
l_target_loss = F.nll_loss(x_prime_output, btarget)
# model.zero_grad()
l_target_loss.backward(retain_graph = True)
target_grad = l_target_loss.grad.data

l_argmax_loss = F.nll_loss(x_prime_output, input_prediction.squeeze(0))
l_argmax_loss.backward()
l_argmax_grad = l_argmax_loss.grad.data

What am i getting wrong, please?

@albanD , could you help sir

Hey!
In general, you should never user .data.

Also the gradient computed by the backward pass is for the model parameters (generally Tensors you create with requires_grad=True). So here you will get gradients for x_prime for example. Not the loss.

Thank you for your reply. I added l_target_loss.retain_grad() before calling l_target_loss.backward(retain_graph= True) and it worked. I can now get values for target_grad and l_argmax_grad respectively. However, both values are thesame. They are both 1’s. I feel something isn’t right

@albanD , I feel that I’m doing something wrong. What I actually want is the gradient of the target_loss with respect to the input (x) and gradient of the l_argmax_loss with respect to the input (x). The input x is img in the code snippet above. How do I go about it please?

They are both 1’s.

That is expected as they contain d l_argmax_loss / d l_argmax_loss Which is obviously 1.

gradient of the l_argmax_loss with respect to the input (x)

To get this quantity, you should:

• make sure x.requires_grad=True
  • compute l_argmax_loss in a differentiable manner
  • call l_argmax_loss.backward()
  • read the gradient at x.grad