GPU Running for Pyro using MyModel().to(device) not responding

Dear All,

I am new to using PyTorch and Pyro with a GPU. I already have my model, but it takes a long time to run on a CPU. That’s why I’m considering shifting to GPU. However, I’m not sure if my system is running on the GPU or not, even though torch.device is successfully set to CUDA. I’m wondering if the to.(device) command will automatically instruct Pyro to run on the GPU.

When I check my system performance during runtime, the GPU usage is almost 0%, but the CPU usage varies. I’ve tried using a simple code to test GPU usage. I would greatly appreciate any advice or help you can provide.

Thank you.
import torch
import pyro
from pyro.nn import PyroModule, PyroSample
import pyro.distributions as dist
from pyro.infer import MCMC, NUTS

Check if CUDA is available and set the device accordingly

device = torch.device(“cuda” if torch.cuda.is_available() else “cpu”)
print(f"Running on device: {device}")

Define a simple Pyro model using pyro.Module

class MyModel(PyroModule):
def init(self):
super().init()

def forward(self):
    x = pyro.sample("x", dist.Normal(0,   1))
    y = pyro.sample("y", dist.Normal(x,   1))
    return y

Instantiate the model and move it to the GPU

model = MyModel().to(device)

Perform inference using MCMC

nuts_kernel = NUTS(model.forward)
mcmc = MCMC(nuts_kernel, num_samples=100000, warmup_steps=500)
mcmc.run()

Could you try to run e.g. the MNIST example and check if your GPU is used?

1 Like

Thank you for your valuable advice. I implemented the MNIST example and closely monitored the performance of my NVIDIA GPU. Surprisingly, the GPU appears to contribute only 3% to the overall computation, while the majority of simulations run on the CPU. I’m uncertain whether this distribution is reasonable or if there might be an issue with the GPU connection? Should I do further amendment with my installation? Below, you’ll find the performance plot for reference:

The Windows Task Manager might be misleading as you would need to enable the compute tab as also described here.
Alternatively, use nvidia-smi as it should show the utilization.
However, assuming you’ve moved the data and model to the GPU it seems to work as you don’t see a hang, so I assume the original issue is unrelated to the GPU usage.

1 Like

Thank you so much again for your advice which was very helpful. IAfter Minst data set, I tried to run a Deep Learning model consist of 70 leyers of LSTM each of with 100 hidden size and the NVIDIA GPU contributed for 70% of computaion in less than a minute!. Here is the plot:

I have a Pyro model in which i use probablistic terms for LSTM blockes, when I do the same process to transfer the model, parameter and data into deveice, the python give bellow error:

RuntimeError: Input and parameter tensors are not at the same device, found input tensor at cuda:0 and parameter tensor at cpu

however I have the same model just transfer to pyro for Bayesian Deep Learning. this my Pyro model:

class Model(PyroModule):
def init(self, input_size=1, num_classes=1, hidden_size=3, num_layers=1, prior_scale=50.0):
super(Model,self).init()

self.num_classes = num_classes
    self.num_layers = num_layers
    self.input_size = input_size
    self.hidden_size = hidden_size

self.activation = nn.ReLU()  # or nn.ReLU()
    # Correctly initialize the LSTM layer with bidirectional=False
    self.lstm = PyroModule[nn.LSTM](input_size, hidden_size, num_layers, batch_first=True, bidirectional=False)
    self.linear = PyroModule[nn.Linear](hidden_size,  128)  # Adjusted for unidirectional LSTM
    self.fc = PyroModule[nn.Linear](128, num_classes)

# Initialize weights and biases for each layer
    # Input to hidden layer
    self.lstm.weight_ih_l0 = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([4*hidden_size, input_size]).to_event(2))
    self.lstm.bias_ih_l0 = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([4*hidden_size]).to_event(1))

# Hidden to hidden layer
    self.lstm.weight_hh_l0 = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([4*hidden_size, hidden_size]).to_event(2))
    self.lstm.bias_hh_l0= PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([4*hidden_size]).to_event(1))

self.linear.weight = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([128,hidden_size]).to_event(2))
    self.linear.bias = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([128]).to_event(1))
    self.fc.weight = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([num_classes, 128]).to_event(2))
    self.fc.bias = PyroSample(dist.Normal(0., prior_scale).expand([num_classes]).to_event(1))

def forward(self, x, y=None,noise_shape = 0.5):

# Initialize hidden state and cell state
    h_0 = torch.zeros(self.num_layers, x.size(0), self.hidden_size).to(device) #hidden state
    c_0 = torch.zeros(self.num_layers, x.size(0), self.hidden_size).to(device) #internal state

output, (hn, cn) = self.lstm(x, (h_0, c_0)) #lstm with input, hidden, and internal state

hn = hn.view(-1, self.hidden_size) #reshaping the data for Dense layer next

out = self.activation(hn)
    out = self.linear(out)
    out = self.activation(out)
    mu = self.fc(out)
    sigma = pyro.sample("sigma", dist.Gamma(noise_shape, 1))  # infer the response noise

with pyro.plate("data", x.shape[0]):
        obs = pyro.sample("obs", dist.Normal(mu, sigma * sigma), obs=y)
    return mu

and this my setup for GPU running:

Check for GPU availability

use_cuda = torch.cuda.is_available()
device = torch.device(“cuda” if use_cuda else “cpu”)

Initialize the Bayesian LSTM model

input_size = X_test_tensors_final.shape[2] # Number of features
hidden_size = 2 # Number of features in hidden state
num_layers = 1 # Number of stacked LSTM layers
model = Model(input_size=input_size, num_classes=1, hidden_size=hidden_size,
num_layers=num_layers, prior_scale=50.0).to(device)

Set up the MCMC sampler

nuts_kernel = NUTS(model)
mcmc = MCMC(nuts_kernel, num_samples=50, warmup_steps=50)

Create a combined dataset

dataset = TensorDataset(X_train_tensors_final, y_train_tensors)

Set the batch size

batch_size = 400

Create a DataLoader

data_loader = DataLoader(dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=False)

Initialize an empty list to store MCMC results

all_mcmc_results =

Iterate over the batches

for batch_idx, (X_batch, y_batch) in enumerate(data_loader):
# Move data to GPU if available
X_batch = X_batch.to(device)
y_batch = y_batch.to(device)

# Run your MCMC simulation
 mcmc_result = mcmc.run(X_batch, y_batch)

# Append the result to the list
all_mcmc_results.append(mcmc_result)

I don’t know how Pyro interacts with your model and you might need to check the stacktrace trying to isolate the failing line of code.

1 Like