Grad becomes nan for all parameters

I’m using MAE to pretrain a ViT model on my custom dataset with 4 A800 GPU.

I found that all gradients are nan after epoch 486. (The grad here is manually saved and printed)

There loss looks good during the triaining, no nan or inf in the loss. But the model’s parameters won’t update anymore.

I tried to use torch.autograd.detect_anomaly() to figure out where the issue comes from:

/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py:197: UserWarning: Error detected in MulBackward0. Traceback of forward call that caused the error:
  File "main_pretrain.py", line 229, in <module>
    main(args)
  File "main_pretrain.py", line 198, in main
    train_stats = train_one_epoch(
  File "/home/jiarunliu/Documents/scaling/mae/engine_pretrain.py", line 69, in train_one_epoch
    loss, _, _ = model(samples, mask_ratio=args.mask_ratio)
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1190, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/distributed.py", line 1040, in forward
    output = self._run_ddp_forward(*inputs, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/distributed.py", line 1000, in _run_ddp_forward
    return module_to_run(*inputs[0], **kwargs[0])
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1190, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jiarunliu/Documents/scaling/mae/models_mae.py", line 229, in forward
    loss = self.forward_loss(imgs, pred, mask)
  File "/home/jiarunliu/Documents/scaling/mae/models_mae.py", line 221, in forward_loss
    loss = (loss * mask).sum() / mask.sum()  # mean loss on removed patches
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/fx/traceback.py", line 57, in format_stack
    return traceback.format_stack()
 (Triggered internally at ../torch/csrc/autograd/python_anomaly_mode.cpp:114.)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main_pretrain.py", line 229, in <module>
    main(args)
  File "main_pretrain.py", line 198, in main
    train_stats = train_one_epoch(
  File "/home/jiarunliu/Documents/scaling/mae/engine_pretrain.py", line 90, in train_one_epoch
    loss_scaler(loss, optimizer, 
  File "/home/jiarunliu/Documents/scaling/mae/util/misc.py", line 302, in __call__
    self._scaler.scale(loss).backward(create_graph=create_graph)
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py", line 487, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(
  File "/usr/local/anaconda3/envs/jiarun_mae/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 197, in backward
    Variable._execution_engine.run_backward(  # Calls into the C++ engine to run the backward pass
RuntimeError: Function 'MulBackward0' returned nan values in its 0th output.

The corresponding code in the traceback is:

Besides, I use amp + bf16 during training, otherwise the loss will become nan at about epoch 380.

I have tried following strategies but none of them works:

• reduce/increase learning rate
  • clip gradient by 1.0 or 0.1
  • replace the AdamW optimizer with Adam
  • enable/disable norm_pix_loss
  • use amp+bf16
  • use fp32

Additionally, use a larger learning rate will produce inf in gradients:

Is there any possible reason for this issue? My package version is torch==1.13.0+cu117, timm==0.3.2.

Thank you!

Hey :wave:,
Seems to be an exploding gradient issue.
Did you standardize/normalize your input over rgb channels?
Hope it helps.

Thank you for your quick response!

Yes, I have normalized my input data and set self.norm_pix_loss = True. Here is my data augmentation strategy, the mean and std are computed on my dataset.

transform_train = transforms.Compose([
            transforms.RandomResizedCrop(args.input_size, scale=(0.2, 1.0), interpolation=3),  # 3 is bicubic
            transforms.RandomHorizontalFlip(),
            transforms.ToTensor(),
            transforms.Normalize(mean=[0.4271, 0.4054, 0.4118], std=[0.2124, 0.2165, 0.2112])])

Based on the stacktrace the loss calculation might cause the issues e.g. if mask contains only zeros:

weight = torch.randn(10, 10, requires_grad=True)
loss = weight * 2
mask = torch.zeros_like(loss)
loss = (loss * mask).sum() / mask.sum()
print(loss)
# tensor(nan, grad_fn=<DivBackward0>)
loss.backward()
print(weight.grad)
# tensor([[nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan],
#         [nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan],
#         [nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan, nan]])

Did you make sure mask contains any valid values?

1 Like

I have manually checked mask.sum() == 150528 for each batch, so the loss should not be zero divided here. The weird thing is, my loss is a valid value all the time, although the grad is nan. The training can keep going but the network won’t actually update.

Besides, the most common traceback is:

RuntimeError: Function 'MulBackward0' returned nan values in its 0th output.

I’m not sure what this means? But it looks different from DivBackward0.

@ptrblck I still not found the solution to solve this issue, but I have one successful attempt to train the model. I train the model with amp(fp16) precision for the first 300 epochs, then use amp(bf16) to train the following 500 epochs. Training with fp16 will have nan loss because some values will be out of the range of fp16, so I have to change the precision to bf16 or fp32 in the following epochs. Would my problem relate to the precision or pytorch version?

I doubt your issue is related to the PyTorch version, as the stacktrace did point to the lines of code I posted reproducing the issue and I also see float16 being used in the MAE repository.

You are right, this issue no longer occurs when I upgrade torch from 1.13.0 to 2.2.2. Thank you.