Gradient problem using two joined networks

Hello!

My intention is to use two networks, in which the output of the first one is modified before used as input to the second one. Here the picture shows that I am using two inputs X_n+1 and P_n, the output of the first net is thought of as an incremental value of P. Then, the sum of P_n and incremental P is P_n+1 which is used for the second network.

I tried to do this using a single forward pass, the problem is that during the backward process there is an error:

File "/home/eugeniomuttio/anaconda3/envs/py37torch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/tensor.py", line 245, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs=inputs)
  File "/home/eugeniomuttio/anaconda3/envs/py37torch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 147, in backward
    allow_unreachable=True, accumulate_grad=True)  # allow_unreachable flag
RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.FloatTensor [2, 1]], which is output 0 of TBackward, is at version 2; expected version 1 instead. Hint: enable anomaly detection to find the operation that failed to compute its gradient, with torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly(True).

Is there a consistent way to use two networks like this?

My forward pass is:

def forward(self, x):
        batch_size, features = x.size()

# First Network
        relu_1_out = torch.relu(self.relu_1(x))
        internal_inc = self.linear_1(relu_1_out)

# Adding previous internal variable
        internal_var = torch.add(x[:, 1], internal_inc)
        x2 = torch.cat((x[:, 0], internal_var[:, 0]), dim=0)

# Second Network
        out = self.linear_2(x2)

return out, internal_var

Here I am using X that effectively is X = [X_n+1, P_n], internal_var is incremental P and then I add this with P_n to obtain X2 = [X_n+1, P_n+1]. I return internal_var because outside this I update X for the next forward pass.