GRU vs Bidirectional GRU

Hello,

I created this model to adapt both GRU and bidrectional GRU, would it be the correct way? Because I don’t understand Bidirectional GRU completely…

Here are the snippets where I change according to if it is bidirectional or not:

class MySpeechRecognition(nn.Module):
    """
    The RNN model that will be used to perform Sentiment analysis.
    """

def __init__(self, input_size, output_size, hidden_dim, n_layers, n_feats, drop_prob=0.5, bidir=False):
        super(MySpeechRecognition, self).__init__()
        #output_dim = will be the alphabet + '' and space = 28 chars
        self.input_size = input_size
        self.hidden_dim = hidden_dim
        self.n_layers = n_layers
        self.drop_prob = drop_prob
        self.output_dim = output_size
        self.bidir = bidir

# GRU Layer --> input (batch, channel*features, time)
        # Input size = number of features
        self.gru = nn.GRU(input_size, hidden_dim, n_layers, batch_first=True, dropout=drop_prob, bidirectional=bidir)
        # shape output (batch, channel*features, time * hidden_size)
        self.layer_norm = nn.LayerNorm(n_feats)
        # (batch, channel, features, time)
        #Fully Connected 
        **if self.bidir:**
**            self.fc1 = nn.Linear(self.hidden_dim*2,512)**
**        else:**
**            self.fc1 = nn.Linear(self.hidden_dim,512)**
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(512, self.output_dim)
        self.dropout = nn.Dropout(0.2)

def forward(self, x, hidden):
       # Forward function is same for both!

def init_hidden(self, batch_size):
        ''' Initializes hidden state '''
        # Create two new tensors with sizes n_layers x batch_size x hidden_dim,
        # initialized to zero, for hidden state and cell state of LSTM
        weight = next(self.parameters()).data
        **if (self.bidir):**
**            self.n_layers = self.n_layers*2**

if (train_on_gpu):
            hidden = (weight.new(self.n_layers, batch_size, self.hidden_dim).zero_()).cuda()
        else:
            hidden = (weight.new(self.n_layers, batch_size, self.hidden_dim).zero_())

return hidden

Additionally to that question, if I have a tensor of (32, 1, 128, 250) [It is melspectrogram], which I understand is → [Batch, Channel, Height, Width]. In this case, which would be the x0, x1, x2 (shown in picture) in the GRU? The Height or the Width?

Here’s my code for an RNN-based classifier. It can configured to use GRU or LSTM, both uni- or bidirectional. This might help for your first question.

Regarding your data, given your shape of [Batch, Channel, Height, Width], where is your time dimension? Or do you have a series of these spectrograms?

1 Like

So, I am working with audio,first I convert those audios to melspectrograms using librosa.
The ouput using librosa is --> shape=(n_mels, t). I gues t is the time

Then the batch looks like:
[batch, channel=1, n_mel=128, t=variable].

That’s why its confusing for me. I configured the input of GRU for 128 inputs, number of features because alll audios are time variant…Not sure if my implementation is correct…

I added a layer normalization layer before GRU to have the data normalized and to improve network’s performance. Do you think it’s good idea? I have been thinking about it and not sure if it’s better to put the layer normalization before or after GRU.

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

I looked at your code and I see that the difference between using GRU/LSTM and bidirectiornal is the hidden dimension, which should be multiplied by the number of direction (1 or 2).

I am also doing the same in my code but not sure why it’s not working. Will have to check again I guess…

I also see that you use Xavier Normalization to initialize weights. Is Xavier Normalization good for RNN networks?
Is there any paper to know what type of weight initliazition is best for type of network? I don’t seem to find any…
Thanks.