HELP Needed- Gaussian Model Classifier on MNIST Dataset

I need help in implementing the Gaussian Model Classifier on MNIST dataset (http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs70/sp15/notes/n21.pdf). So far, I did is the following I have calculated the mean, variance of each single-digit from 0 to 9. But I am confused about what to do after that?
Can anybody guide me or provide a solution? [I ant to calculate the covariance matrix along with the mean,variance and then I want to calculate the MAP estimator ]

Any help would be really great.

def online_mean_and_sd(trainLoader):
    """Compute the mean and sd in an online fashion

Var[x] = E[X^2] - E^2[X]
    """
     mean = 0.
    std = 0.
    nb_samples = 0.
    for data, _ in trainLoader:
        batch_samples = data.size(0)
        data = data.view(batch_samples, data.size(1), -1)
        mean += data.mean(2).sum(0)
        std += data.std(2).sum(0)
        nb_samples += batch_samples

mean /= nb_samples
    std /= nb_samples
    return mean,std

trainset=datasets.MNIST(root='/home/jmandivarapu1/datasets', train=True,download=True, transform=transform)
testset = datasets.MNIST(root='/home/jmandivarapu1/datasets', train=False,download=True, transform=transform)
train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(trainset, batch_size=args.batch_size,shuffle=True,**kwargs)
test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(testset, batch_size=args.test_batch_size,shuffle=True, **kwargs)
global_trainset_train_labels=trainset.targets
global_trainset_train_data=trainset.data
global_testset_test_labels=testset.targets
global_testset_test_data=testset.data
global_train_loader=train_loader
global_test_loader=test_loader

######################################################################################################
#MODIFYING DATSET FOR INDIVIDUAL CLASSES
######################################################################################################
def load_individual_class(postive_class,negative_classes):
    RELOAD_DATASET()
    global train_loader,test_loader,train_Indexs,test_Indexs

index_train_postive=[]
    index_test_postive=[]
    index_train_negative=[]
    index_test_negative=[]
    #print(postive_class)
    for i in range(0,len(postive_class)):
        index_train_postive=index_train_postive+train_Indexs[postive_class[i]]
        index_test_postive=index_test_postive+test_Indexs[postive_class[i]]

for i in range(0,len(negative_classes)):
        index_train_negative=index_train_negative+train_Indexs[negative_classes[i]][0:int(1*(len(train_Indexs[negative_classes[i]])))]
        index_test_negative=index_test_negative+test_Indexs[negative_classes[i]][0:int(1*(len(test_Indexs[negative_classes[i]])))]

index_train=index_train_postive+index_train_negative
    index_test=index_test_postive+index_test_negative
    modified_train_labels = [1 if (trainset.train_labels[x] in postive_class) else 0 for x in index_train]
    modified_test_labels  = [1 if (testset.test_labels[x] in postive_class) else 0 for x in index_test]
    trainset.targets=modified_train_labels#train set labels
    trainset.data=trainset.train_data[index_train]#train set data
    testset.targets=modified_test_labels#testset labels
    testset.data=testset.test_data[index_test]#testset data
    train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(trainset, batch_size=32,shuffle=True)
    test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(testset, batch_size=32,shuffle=True) 
     train_loader_highbatch = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(trainset, batch_size=1000,shuffle=True)
    return train_loader,test_loader,train_loader_highbatch

mnistSkills=[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]
mnistSkillsMeanVar=[]
#####################################################################################################
#                                          MNSIT TRAINING
for mnsit_class in range(0,len(mnistSkills)):
    task_samples=[]
    train_skills=mnistSkills[mnsit_class]
    print("Skills are ",train_skills)
    model = models.Net().to(device)
    #model=nn.DataParallel(model)
    optimizer = optim.SGD(model.parameters(), lr=args.lr, momentum=args.momentum)
    Train_loader,Test_loader,train_loader_highbatch=load_individual_class([mnsit_class],[])

mean,std= online_mean_and_sd(train_loader_highbatch)
    print('SKILL',mnsit_class,mean,SD)
    mnistSkillsMeanVar.append([{str(mnsit_class):{'mean':mean,'var':SD}}])

@albanD can you help? Sorry, I know I shouldn’t tag people. But nobody replied. So finally tagged you.

Hi,

I’m afraid I don’t know much about gaussian models :confused:
So I’m not sure what you need to do here…

Thank you so much for your response firstly.

Ingenral I am explaining the thing I want to do.

Goal: After dividing the MNIST dataset into a test and train. In the Test set,Imagine I don’t have labels on testset. So, I need to predict the labels on testset but using the probabilities.

Steps I did:

1. I calculated the prior probabilities of each Digit. (Separately for 0,1,2,3…) It’s called pi0, pi1, … pi10 as shown in the image.

2. I also calculated the mean, SD of each Digit separately.

3. But I don’t know how to calculate the covariance matrix as showed in the equations?

4. Finally, I need to apply that h(x) equation which I am not sure how to do effiecently in pytorch.

Hi,

for 3) I don’t know what the formula is for that. You should just find it and use it.
for 4), you most likely can use the torch.argmax function along with regular matrix multiplication (torch.matmul) to get this results. Note that if you need a log determinant, we have a function for that here.