Epoch is hiring a specialist in computing hardware to lead investigations into HPC computing for AI workloads. This person will collaborate with our team on novel research related to the cost of compute, trends in compute usage and performance, and parallelism techniques and utilization. This work will be crucial for improving our understanding of the future of AI and its impacts on society.
The role is remote and we can hire or sponsor visas in many countries. Compensation ranges between $150,000 and $180,000 USD per year, though do let us know if this is a barrier to apply, since we have flexibility for the right candidate.
The deadline to apply is January 31st.
Researching the latest developments in the field, discussing their implications with our team and international experts, and writing reports that inform our research and policy-making all over the world. Over the course of a year, we anticipate you will have produced 3-4 leading reports on the future of training and inference of frontier ML models.
- Familiarity with modern ML hardware, HPC set-ups and their management.
- Familiarity with modern ML parallelism techniques.
- Experience either researching or engineering distributed ML training or inference.
- Experience writing analysis reports or scientific papers.
- Familiarity with the technical characteristics of hardware used in AI and ML
- Clear communication skills on technical topics.
- Intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- Industry experience or a PhD on a related topic.
- A network of industry and academia experts on ML distributed systems.
- Experience supervising other researchers.
Epoch is a non-profit research institute that investigates trends in machine learning and the economic consequences of AI. Our work informs research and policy-making at the UK Department of Science, Innovation and Technology, Anthropic, the Centre for the Governance of AI, the Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation, Open Philanthropy, the Center for Security and Emerging Technology and elsewhere.
To apply and see more information, see the full job page linked at the beginning of this post. If you are not interested in the role but have suggestions for potential candidates, I’d love to know about them – we will compensate you with $5,000 if we end up hiring someone because you pointed us towards them.