How do you determine the layer type?

I want to iterate through the children() of a module,
and identify all the convolutional layers (for instance), or maybe all the maxpool layers, to do something with them.

How can I determine the type of layer?

My code would be something like this:

for layer in net.children():
    if layer is a conv layer:  # ??? how do I do this ???
        do something with the layer

Thanks!

Do you plan to treat Conv1d, Conv2d and so far as different? If you were only looking for Conv2d layers you can do something like:

for layer in net.children():
    if isinstance(layer, nn.Conv2d):
        do something with the layer

isinstance is a Python built-in https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html#isinstance

7 Likes

Great! Thanks!

That’s good enough for me, for now. I just need to distinguish between Conv2d and MaxPool2d.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Happy to help :slight_smile:

How can I check whether a layer is Conv2d or not for this kind of ResNet structure?
Please help.

ResNet(
(conv1): Conv2d(3, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
(bn1): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
(layer1): Sequential(
(0): BasicBlock(
(conv1): Conv2d(64, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
(bn1): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
(conv2): Conv2d(64, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
(bn2): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
(shortcut): Sequential()
)
(1): BasicBlock(
(conv1): Conv2d(64, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
(conv2): Conv2d(64, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
(bn2): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
(shortcut): Sequential()
)
)

The code of @reachtarunhere should work, since net.children() will be called recursively on all submodules.

But it is not working, it can find only if the 1st layer is conv or not. I guess its mostly because for the BasicBlocks the nns are not directly having Conv2d as its children directly. So, the code is failing. Any suggestion?

Right, I was mistaken.
In that case, model.modules() or model.named_modules() should work. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, it worked fine! Is there any way I can specifically choose the shortcut layer conv2ds only?

I was searching for batchnorm layer and

model = models.densenet161()
for child in model.children():
  for layer in child.modules():
    if(isinstance(layer,torch.nn.modules.batchnorm.BatchNorm2d)):
      print(layer)

This code worked for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer. How can I select the first conv layer of the ResNet model?

This should work:

model = models.resnet18()
print(model.conv1)

Thank you. it works:)

I want to decompose each Conv layer other than the first one in the ResNet.How can I re-assign the decomposed layers to its position?What is the equivalent of model.features._modules[module] of vgg in ResNet?

The architectures are a bit different for these models.
You can print out the layout using:

model = models.resnet18()
print(model)
print(model.layer1)

and check all submodules.

I got it in the following way. But do we have a better way to do it ? here net impies the model.

for n, m in net.named_children():
num_children = sum(1 for i in m.children())
if num_children != 0:
# in a layer of resnet
layer = getattr(net, n)
# decomp every bottleneck
for i in range(num_children):
BasicBlock = layer[i]
conv2 = getattr(BasicBlock, ‘conv2’)
#print(conv2)
decompose = function_call
# s += count_params(conv2)
setattr(BasicBlock, ‘conv2’,decompose)
#print(decompose)
conv1 = getattr(BasicBlock, ‘conv1’)
#print(conv1)
# s += count_params(conv2)
setattr(BasicBlock, ‘conv1’,decompose)
conv = getattr(BasicBlock, ‘downsample’)
if(conv) :
c = getattr(conv, ‘0’)
setattr(conv, ‘0’,decompose)