How to debug WGAN implementation?

I am currently implementing WGAN using weight clipping for a dataset of 3x256x256 images. I’ve taken a working implementation of DCGAN for the same dataset and have converted to to WGAN by removing the sigmoid from the discriminator and changing the loss function.

The issue is that the Critic loss decreases steadily and stabilizes around -6 very quickly, and the Generator loss increases and stabilizes around 3 very quickly. It also seems like the gradients in the Generator vanish as training progresses leading to very poor image quality.

I’ve experimented by increasing the learning rate, increasing the critic training iterations, and changing the form of normalization in the Critic from BatchNorm, LayerNorm, to no normalization at all. I also tried to increase the clamping parameter with hopes of minimizing the vanishing gradients problem but to no avail.

Interestingly with no normalization, the Critic loss does tend to zero (though it fluctuates wildly around this point within ±50k) but the losses become very large (to the scale of 1e9). The image quality is still very poor.

Are there any ways I can go about debugging this? Alternatively is there something fundamentally wrong with my implementation? I’ve attached some code below:

Generator(
  (network): ModuleList(
    (0): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(100, 2048, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): BatchNorm2d(2048, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
      (2): LeakyReLU(negative_slope=0.2, inplace=True)
    )
    (1): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(2048, 1024, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): BatchNorm2d(1024, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    )
    (2): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(1024, 512, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): BatchNorm2d(512, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    )
    (3): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(512, 256, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): BatchNorm2d(256, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    )
    (4): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(256, 128, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): BatchNorm2d(128, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    )
    (5): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(128, 64, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    )
    (6): Sequential(
      (0): ConvTranspose2d(64, 3, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): Tanh()
    )
  )
)
Critic(
  (network): ModuleList(
    (0): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(3, 64, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): LeakyReLU(negative_slope=0.2, inplace=True)
    )
    (1): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(64, 128, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): GroupNorm(1, 128, eps=1e-05, affine=True)
    )
    (2): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(128, 256, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): GroupNorm(1, 256, eps=1e-05, affine=True)
    )
    (3): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(256, 512, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): GroupNorm(1, 512, eps=1e-05, affine=True)
    )
    (4): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(512, 1024, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): GroupNorm(1, 1024, eps=1e-05, affine=True)
    )
    (5): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(1024, 2048, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
      (1): GroupNorm(1, 2048, eps=1e-05, affine=True)
    )
    (6): Sequential(
      (0): Conv2d(2048, 1, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(1, 1), bias=False)
    )
  )
)

Training Loop:

# Training Loop - adapted directly from DCGAN tutorial

#hyper params
z_dim = 100
lr = 5e-5
c = 0.01 #clamping parameter
n_critic = 20 # critic training iterations
S = 500 # sampling interval

# Lists to keep track of progress
img_list = []
G_losses = []
D_losses = []
iters = 0

num_epochs = 250

torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly(True)

print("Starting Training Loop...")
print(device)
# For each epoch
for epoch in range(num_epochs):
    # For each batch in the dataloader
    for i, data in enumerate(dataloader, 0):

#train critic
        netD.zero_grad()
        # Format batch
        real_cpu = data[0].to(device)
        b_size = real_cpu.size(0)
        #label = torch.full((b_size,), real_label, dtype=torch.float, device=device)
        # Forward pass real batch through D
        #add decaying noise to real input
        real_input = real_cpu #+ ( torch.randn(real_cpu.size(), device=device) + mu ) * (std/(epoch+1))
        output_real = netD(real_input).view(-1)

# Forward pass fake batch through D
        # Generate batch of latent vectors
        noise = torch.randn(b_size, z_dim, 1, 1, device=device)
        # Generate fake image batch with G
        fake = netG(noise)
        #f_label = torch.full((b_size,), fake_label, dtype=torch.float, device=device)#.fill_(fake_label)
        # Classify all fake batch with D
        fake_input = fake 
        output_fake = netD(fake_input.detach()).view(-1)

# Add the gradients from the all-real and all-fake batches
        errD = -(torch.mean(output_real) - torch.mean(output_fake))
        errD.backward()
        optimizerD.step()

#clamp critic weights
        for p in netD.parameters():
            p.data.clamp_(-c,c)

#train generator
        if i % n_critic == 0:
            netG.zero_grad()
            #label.fill_(real_label)  # fake labels are real for generator cost
            # Since we just updated D, perform another forward pass of all-fake batch through D
            output = netD(fake_input).view(-1)
            # Calculate G's loss based on this output
            errG = -torch.mean(output)
            # Calculate gradients for G
            errG.backward()
            # Update G
            optimizerG.step()

# Output training stats
            print('[%d/%d][%d/%d]\tLoss_D: %.4f\tLoss_G: %.4f'
                  % (epoch, num_epochs, i, len(dataloader),
                     errD.item(), errG.item()))

# Save Losses for plotting later
            G_losses.append(errG.item())
            D_losses.append(errD.item())

#plot gradient flow of generator
        if iters == 10 or iters == 50 or iters % S == 0:
            plot_grad_flow(netG.named_parameters())

# Check how the generator is doing by saving G's output on fixed_noise
        if (iters % S == 0) or ((epoch == num_epochs-1) and (i == len(dataloader)-1)):
            with torch.no_grad():
                fake = netG(fixed_noise).detach().cpu()
            img_list.append(vutils.make_grid(fake, padding=2, normalize=True))

iters += 1

This is what the typical loss graph looks like:
wgloss

Usually it is more smoothly curved on its path, this particular graph came from setting c=0.1

At this point I am suspicious of an error in my implementation. Can anyone suggest to me any possible errors I have made?

What happens when you increase c?

No clear effect other than the losses becoming larger in magnitude, the loss graph still behaves the same and the image quality is still poor. Gradients are larger but it doesn’t seem to help. Is tuning this something I should explore further?

Well, I wouldn’t spend too much time on the vanilla WGAN, the authors of the paper themselves say that weight clipping is not a very good solution.

Yeah I’m a student so I was hoping to get that to work before comparing to WGAN-GP but it seems that in this case nothing I do helps the results. Would you be able to comment on my implementation at all? Are there any glaring errors - particularly in the model architecture?

Your code looks fine to me, I’m not sure if it’s a bug or just an inherent shortcoming with WGAN

Thanks for the input, I found that increasing the learning rate produces somewhat better results but still nothing resembling the real data. Past this adjusting n_critic and the learning rate gives diminishing returns. Removing normalization does not help at all, and batch norm seems to work best. I’ll just have to move on to a WGAN-GP implementation.