How to get the batch mean and variance inside BatchNorm?

Hi,
I am trying to implement a variation of BatchNorm and want to use the current code first.
My problem is how to find the batch_mean and batch_std inside the current BatchNorm module.

In the old implementation torch/legacy/nn/BatchNormalization.py:
There are save_mean and save_std parameters are generated after forward pass. However, these two parameters are removed in the current version. Is there any way I can achieve these two parameters in the current version?

Thanks!

You could get the running mean and var (exponentially weighted average from last batches) with bn.running_mean and bn.running_var, if that is what you need.

3 Likes

Hi Thanks!
But actually I want the batch_mean and batch_var which were used during the training.
I am implementing the batch renomalization paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03275. Both batch_mean, and running_mean are used during training. Is there any way to access both variables? I am pretty sure they are stored in some way to accelerate the backward propagation.

Ah ok! Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
I think the current gamma and beta values are stored in bn.weight and bn.bias, respectively.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, these are not what I am looking for too.

def batch_norm(input, running_mean, running_var, weight=None, bias=None,
               training=False, momentum=0.1, eps=1e-5):
    f = torch._C._functions.BatchNorm(running_mean, running_var, training, momentum, eps, torch.backends.cudnn.enabled)
    return f(input, weight, bias)

Inside the batch_norm function, torch._C._functions.BatchNorm calculates the batch_mean and batch_var first, and then use them to normalize the batch and update the running_mean and running_var. These two parameters are stored in inside the function. I am wondering is there any easy way I can access this two parameters?

1 Like

Ah yeah, I see. My fault :confused:

Have you found the way?

No, there is no easy to do it. Due to the performance, the batch mean/std calculation is inside the cuDNN and used to update the running mean/std directly.
The simple way to do it is running a batch norm module but set it in the evaluation mode. Then you can get the batch mean/std easily in the training.

1 Like

Thanks. You can also use this to compute them by yourself.

self.mu = tmp.transpose(0,1).contiguous().view(c,-1).mean(1)
self.var = tmp.transpose(0,1).contiguous().view(c,-1).var(1)
2 Likes

What I do is to use a hook to inspect the input and output to the batchnorm layer, and I compute the mean and variance of the input to the layer (which should be roughly the same to the one computed by torch._C._functions.BatchNorm).

Example:

# 1. define model
model = ...

# 2. register the hook
model.bn_layer.register_forward_hook(printbn)

# 3. the hook function will be called here
model.forward(...)

and the hook can be defined as:

def printbn(self, input, output):
    print('Inside ' + self.__class__.__name__ + ' forward')
    mean = input[0].mean(dim=0)
    var = input[0].var(dim=0)
    print(mean)
2 Likes
batch_mean = torch.mean(input, dim=[0, 2, 3])
batch_var = torch.var(input, dim=[0, 2, 3], unbiased=False)
1 Like

#Creating the model with 3 convultional layers and 3 pooling layers, 1 fully connected layers.
class Net(nn.Module):
def init(self):
super().init()
self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=3, out_channels=53, kernel_size=4, stride=2, padding=3)
self.pool = nn.MaxPool2d(2, 2)
self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(53, 106, kernel_size=4, stride=2, padding=3)
self.conv3 = nn.Conv2d(106, 212, kernel_size=4, stride=2, padding=3)
self.fc1 = nn.Linear(21233, 1908)
self.fc2 = nn.Linear(1908, 8)

def forward(self, x):

x = self.pool(F.relu(self.conv1(x)))
    x = self.pool(F.relu(self.conv2(x)))
    x = self.pool(F.relu(self.conv3(x)))
    x = torch.flatten(x, 1) 
    x = F.relu(self.fc1(x))
    x = self.fc2(x)
    return x

device = torch.device(“cuda” if torch.cuda.is_available() else “cpu”) # PyTorch v0.4.0
model = Net().to(device)
summary(model, (3, 144, 144))

The in_features of self.fc1 doesn’t match the feature size of x, so you would need to fix it.
I also don’t know how your post is related to this topic.

what is the correction for it, how will i match the features with the size x