How to handle two separate optimizers and separate losses?

Sorry for my terrible drawing. But according to the above figure, I want to use 2 separate losses to update different modules in the entire network. The data flow is illustrated with arrows in the above figure, I hope to define a loss1 to only update “trainable 1”, and another term loss2 to only update “trainable 2”.

I apologize because I can’t paste our internal code here, so I have to briefly mention what I did:
I defined two optimizers: optimizer_1 (with parameters in “trainable 1” as trainable variables) and optimizer_2 (with parameters in “trainable 2” as trainable variables).

For each iteration of my training loop, I did something like this:

optimizer_1.step()
optimizer_2.step()
loss1.backward()
loss2.backward()

And crashed with the following error message
# [RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time, but the buffers have already been freed. Specify retain_graph=True when calling backward the first time]

I am not sure if I should handle these two losses in this way. Could someone tell me what might be potentially wrong in my implementation, and how to fix it?

Thanks.

check the above discussions

1 Like

Thank you so much for the pointers.
Could you also comment on this “# [RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time, but the buffers have already been freed. Specify retain_graph=True when calling backward the first time]” error?

I tried to use splited parameters (i.e. trainable_1 assigned to optimizer1, and trainable_2 assigned to optimizer2, while there should not be overlap btw trainable_1 and trainable_2) for different optimizers to separate the two training flow. Where could be wrong to trigger this “Trying to backward through the graph a second time” error? BTW, I don’t fully understand this error, and will “retain_graph=True” be a correct fix in this case?

When you do backward pass, some of the values of the graph for the intermediate (non-leaf) nodes are freed. So, second pass over same nodes will trigger this error. To be able to proceed with second pass, you need to add parameter to loss1.backward(retain_graph=True)

1 Like