How to randomly subsample loss tensor

I’m using a 3D semantic segmentation loss as follows

from torch.autograd import Variable
    import torch
    import torch.nn.functional as F

def cross_entropy3d(pred, target, weight=None, size_average=True):
        # input: (n, c, h, w), target: (n, h, w)
        n, c, h, w , z = pred.size()  # Get number of classes 'c'
        log_pred = F.log_softmax(pred, dim=1)
        log_pred = log_pred.permute(0, 4, 3, 2, 1).contiguous().view(-1, c)  # Make channels (classes) the last dimension
        log_pred = log_pred[target.view(-1, 1).repeat(1, c) < 255]  # Extract only predictions with label < 255
        log_pred = log_pred.view(-1, c)  # Reshape for loss calculation (outputs [N x c] where c is number of classes and N = n * h * w * z
        mask = target < 255
        target = target[mask]  # Extract only predictions with label < 255

loss = F.nll_loss(log_pred, target.view(-1), weight=weight, size_average=False)
        if size_average:
            loss /= mask.data.sum()
        return loss

Now I need to subsample pred and target because of weight inbalance.
So I select all target variables with label > 0 and a random subsample of those where target == 0.

def cross_entropy3d_with_sampling(pred, target, weight=None, size_average=True):
        # input: (n, c, h, w), target: (n, h, w)
        n, c, h, w, z = pred.size()
        log_pred = F.log_softmax(pred, dim=1)
        log_pred = log_pred.permute(0, 4, 3, 2, 1).contiguous().view(-1, c)
        log_pred = log_pred[target.view(-1, 1).repeat(1, c) < 255]
        log_pred = log_pred.view(-1, c)
        mask = target < 255
        target = target[mask]

### Randomly subsample to make it contain N occupied voxels and 2N randomly sampled occluded voxels
        occ_idx = target > 0  # Occupied voxels
        empty_idx = (target == 0)  # Empty voxels
        pred_occ = log_pred[occ_idx.repeat(c, 1)]  # Select occupied voxels
        pred_occ = pred_occ.view(-1, c)
        target_occ = target[occ_idx]
        pred_empty = log_pred[empty_idx.repeat(c, 1)]  # Select empty voxels
        pred_empty = pred_empty.view(-1, c)
        target_empty = target[empty_idx]
        idx = torch.randperm(target_empty.shape[0])  # Randomly subsample empty voxels
        idx = Variable(idx).cuda()  # idx needs to be a torch.cuda Variable in order to be used in `index_select`
        pred_empty = pred_empty.index_select(0, idx[0:sample_size])  # Select only sample_size voxels at random
        target_empty = target_empty.index_select(0, idx[0:sample_size])
        target_full = torch.cat([target_occ, target_empty], 0)  # Concatenate occupied and randomly sampled empty voxels
        log_pred_full = torch.cat([pred_occ, pred_empty], 0)
        ###

loss = F.nll_loss(log_pred_full, target_full.view(-1), weight=weight, size_average=False)
        if size_average:
            loss /= target_full.shape[0]
        return loss

Weirdly the function above works fine until I call loss.backward(). So there might be a problem with the derivation due to my sampling. Here is the error message I’m getting:

File "/home/myUser/anaconda2/envs/py27_source/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/variable.py", line 367, in masked_scatter
        return self.clone().masked_scatter_(mask, variable)
    RuntimeError: The expanded size of the tensor (12) must match the existing size (259764) at non-singleton dimension 1

It claims that my dimensions were wrong. However I checked and the dimensions are exactly the same as for the working function cross_entropy3d.

Do I make some obvious mistake?
Maybe the usage of torch.randperm for randomly selecting voxels is causing the trouble with the derivation that is needed for loss.backward()?

Can you give the full stack trace.
Also can you give some example Tensors for pred and target so that I can run them locally and trigger this error?

Problem is already solved, sorry for the spam. There was a twist in the target dimensions.