How to use RNN with variable audio signals?

Hi everyone,

I have created a few models using Deep Learning but mostly have worked with images. Unlike with audio, images can be cropped, resized, etc.

So, I was in the process of creating a Speech Recogniton model (for Spanish) as my thesis and I got to do these steps:

1. This is my dataset, the dataset are of different lengths.

2. I created spectrograms for each one of them with 128 features, and of course each one has different numbers of frames due to their duration variation.

3. I created a custom dataset where each data is spectrogram + label:

train_dataset = SpanishSpeechDataSet(csv_file='../input/spanish-single-speaker-speech-dataset/transcript.txt', root_dir='../input/spanish-single-speaker-speech-dataset/', data_type='train')

I did a test and show the spectrogram:

1. I create a data processing function:
def data_processing(audio_data):

spectrograms = []
    labels = []
    input_lengths = []
    label_lengths = []

for (spec,label) in audio_data:
        #The spectrogram is in (128, 407) and (128, 355) for example but later on for padding the function expects (407, 128) and (355, 128). So we need to transpose the matrices.
        spectrograms.append(torch.Tensor(spec.transpose()))
        t = TextProcessing()
        label = torch.Tensor(t.text2int(text=label))
        labels.append(label)
        input_lengths.append(spec.shape[0]//2)
        label_lengths.append(len(label))
    print(len(spectrograms))
    spec_pad = torch.nn.utils.rnn.pad_sequence(spectrograms, batch_first=True).unsqueeze(1).transpose(2,3)
    label_pad = torch.nn.utils.rnn.pad_sequence(labels, batch_first=True)
    return spec_pad, label_pad, input_lengths, label_lengths
  1. DataLoader:
data_loader = DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=32,shuffle=True,collate_fn=lambda x: data_processing(x))
  1. Test the size of each:
it = iter(data_loader)
first = next(it)
second = next(it)
print(first[0].shape)
print(second[0].shape)
torch.Size([32, 1, 128, 594])
torch.Size([32, 1, 128, 558])

For each batch, the max size of the batch is different.

1. Now, my question is if I want to pass these to a RNN, the input size would be 128 (number of features of the spectrogram) or would it be the frames (above case 594 or 558)? I am really confused!

Thanks.
BR,
Shweta.

1 Like

In the default setup nn.RNN (as well as e.g. nn.LSTM) expect an input in the shape [seq_len, batch_size, features].
I assume you are working with 128 frequencies and a variable sequence length in the last dimension.
If that’s the case, you could remove dim1, which seems to be an unnecessary channel dimension via input = input.squeeze(1) and permute the inputs afterwards via:

input = input.permute(1, 0, 2)

to get the desired shape of [seq_len, batch_size, features].

You could also specify batch_first=True in the RNN, which would then expect the input in the shape [batch_size, seq_len, features].

1 Like

Hi @ptrblck,

Thank you so much. Your reply was very helpful :slight_smile:

I tried it yesterday but now I am facing issues working with GRU and CTC Loss function, I created another post about this…

Have a nice day!