I am trying to create text summerization using gru as encoder and pgn as decoder, but i am havinig error with final dist calculation. can please anyone help me to fix this error. I would be so thankful. thank you

def forward(self, enc_input, enc_input_ext, dec_input, target=None, teacher_forcing_ratio=0.5):
        enc_output, enc_hidden = self.encoder(enc_input)

dec_hidden = enc_hidden
        batch_size, seq_len = dec_input.size()
        outputs = torch.zeros(batch_size, seq_len, self.vocab_size).to(
            enc_input.device)  # Adjust self.vocab_size accordingly

if self.training:
            loss = 0
            for t in range(seq_len - 1):  # Assuming dec_input includes <sos> and <eos>
                dec_input_t = dec_input[:, t].unsqueeze(1)
                true_output = target[:, t + 1]
                p_vocab, dec_hidden, p_gen = self.decoder(dec_input_t, dec_hidden, enc_output)
                context_vector, attn = self.attention(dec_hidden, enc_output)
                final_dist = self.get_final_distribution(enc_input_ext, p_gen, p_vocab, attn, self.max_oov)  # Simplified

# final_dist = self.get_final_distribution(enc_input_ext, p_gen, p_vocab, attn, self.max_oov)  # Simplified

loss += f.cross_entropy(final_dist, true_output, ignore_index=self.pad_token_id)
            return loss / (seq_len - 1)

def get_final_distribution(self, x, p_gen, p_vocab, attention_weights, max_oov):
        batch_size = x.size(0)
        # Clip the probabilities to avoid log(0) in loss computation
        p_gen = torch.clamp(p_gen, 0.001, 0.999)
        p_vocab_weighted = p_gen * p_vocab
        attention_weighted = (1 - p_gen) * attention_weights

extension = torch.zeros((batch_size, max_oov)).float().to(x.device)
        p_vocab_extended = torch.cat([p_vocab_weighted, extension], dim=1)
        # print("x value of get final distribution",x.shape)
        # print("Max index in x:", x.max().item())
        # print("Second dimension of p_vocab_extended:", p_vocab_extended.size(1))
        # print("attention_weighted of get final distribution", attention_weighted.shape)
        # print("Sample values from x:", x[0, :10])
        # print("Sample values from attention_weighted:", attention_weighted[0, :10])

final_distribution = p_vocab_extended.scatter_add_(1, x, attention_weighted)

return final_distribution

Here the problem brief,
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/V2_main.py”, line 201, in
train(model, train_loader,val_loader, optimizer, criterion,scheduler, device,5, )
File “/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/V2_main.py”, line 167, in train
loss, _ = model(articles, ext_enc_inp, summaries[:, :-1], summaries[:, 1:], teacher_forcing_ratio=0.5)
File “/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py”, line 1511, in _wrapped_call_impl
return self._call_impl(*args, **kwargs)
File “/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py”, line 1520, in _call_impl
return forward_call(*args, **kwargs)
File “/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/my_V2.py”, line 283, in forward
final_dist = self.get_final_distribution(enc_input_ext, p_gen, p_vocab, attn, self.max_oov,
File “/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/my_V2.py”, line 359, in get_final_distribution
attn_dist_extended[b, vocab_idx] += attention_weighted[b, idx]
IndexError: index 695 is out of bounds for dimension 1 with size 695

This indexing operation fails:

attn_dist_extended[b, vocab_idx] += attention_weighted[b, idx]

so you should check the shapes of the used tensors as well as the min/max values of the index tensors.
Based on the stacktrace this operation should be called in final_dist = self.get_final_distribution(enc_input_ext, p_gen, p_vocab, attn, self.max_oov,...) which is not the case in your posted code snippet.

1 Like

well, thank you for the help. It helped me to solve this problem, but again i got new error. Well i have done some update on the final dist calcualtion. If you have time can you review my code to see what i am doing wrong, i will share the github link of the code if you want . As, i don’t have prior experience in NLP, this is my first time working with NLP and i am having tough time with it.
It would be so helpful.Thank you.

Sure, feel free to follow up with the new error and the corresponding code.

1 Like

here is the link to my github model code, Text-Summerization/model.py at main · Sagar456-b/Text-Summerization · GitHub
the error i am facing is

type or paste code hereTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/V2_main.py", line 252, in <module>
    train(model, train_loader,val_loader, optimizer, criterion,scheduler, device,5, )
  File "/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/V2_main.py", line 218, in train
    loss, _ = model(articles, ext_enc_inp, summaries[:, :-1], summaries[:, 1:], teacher_forcing_ratio=0.5)
  File "/Users/sagar/PycharmProjects/TouchFYP/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py", line 1022, in __iter__
    raise TypeError("iteration over a 0-d tensor")
TypeError: iteration over a 0-d tensor

I don’t know which tensor you are trying to iterate, but the error is raised if a 0-dim tensor is used in e.g. a for loop:

x = torch.randn(1)
>>> for i in x:
...     print(i)
tensor(-1.4889)
>>> for i in x[0]:
...     print(i)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/torch/_tensor.py", line 1040, in __iter__
    raise TypeError("iteration over a 0-d tensor")
TypeError: iteration over a 0-d tensor
1 Like

Thank you it has been great help.
I found that this error will be solved once i remove underscores (-) from
loss, _ = model(articles, ext_enc_inp, summaries[:, :-1], summaries[:, 1:], teacher_forcing_ratio=0.5), Do you know what’s the reason behind that?