Identify Leaf Variable that has been Moved into Graph Interior

Hi,

I am trying to train a WassersteinGAN following the paper Improved Training of Wasserstein GANs. Unfortunately something goes wrong and I get the RuntimeError leaf variable has been moved into the graph interior.

I will start investigating this problem tomorrow but I am not really sure where to look for the source of it. I read that a common source of this problem are inplace operations on leaf variables. Are there other pitfalls I should look for? Does anyone know a good strategy to identify the wrongly treated leaf variable?

Thanks for any advice!

Have you manipulated a Parameter directly, e.g. the weight?
Here is a small example of such a manipulation yielding the same error.

Thank you for the hint, but I did not do that.

So far i figured out that it is related to the forward pass of real data through the discriminator/critic. Might there be an issue with my custom dataloader?

Could you post an executable version of your code so that we can have a look?

My code is already quite long (more than 50 lines for the custom dataset alone) so I guess the forum is not the right place to post and look at hundreds of lines of code. And I did not yet locate the problem close enough to produce a minimal example to reproduce the error.

Thanks anyway. I will keep you updated.

I am quite sure now, that it is the dataset because a forward pass of artificially generated data through the same network does not yield the error. I guess it might be somewhere in this snippet of code:

import torch
from torch.utils.data import Dataset
from tools.tools import TensorDict # subclass of dict
import os

class ExtRealMFCCDataset(Dataset):
    """Dataset containing standardized MFCC and phoneme from Tedlium release 2 computed by Kaldi."""

def __init__(self, kaldi_root=os.environ['KALDI_ROOT']):
        # lots of code to get the data omitted

# needs to by byte or long tensor to be used as index
        self.phonemes = torch.ByteTensor(phonemes)

self.normalized_mfcc = torch.tensor(data, requires_grad=True)

def __len__(self):
        return self.normalized_mfcc.shape[0]

def __getitem__(self, item):
        phonemes_one_hot = torch.zeros((self.phonemes_range,), requires_grad=True)
        phonemes_one_hot[int(self.phonemes[item])] = 1
        return TensorDict({'mfcc': self.normalized_mfcc[item,:].clone(), 'phoneme': phonemes_one_hot})

Any ideas?

It may be unrelated. I think you could remove requires_grad=True, as you need not have this unless you really need gradient with respect to data.

What about the model? Do you use default pytorch modules or do you have any custom written modules?

Your Dataset looks fine, but the error would most likely be part of your model’s forward definition or your train code (at least that’s where I observed such errors before).

If you could post these parts of your code (or link a gist), we could have a look on them.

Thanks for all of your support!

It is related. requires_grad is set to True because improved WGAN training needs (simply said) the derivative of the discriminator output with respect to the data in the loss function. For test purposes I removed this gradient term from the loss function and tried running my code with both requires_grad=True and requires_grad=False. Only the first one raised the error.

My model looks like this:

import torch.nn as nn
import torch

class MFCCCritic(nn.Module):
    """Generic Wasserstein GAN critic for generating artificial MFCC. Includes one skip
    connection for MFCC input.
    """

def __init__(self, model_before, model_after):
        super(MFCCCritic,self).__init__()

self.model_before = model_before
        self.model_after = model_after

def forward(self, x):
        input = torch.cat([x['phoneme'], x['mfcc']], 1)
        h = torch.cat([self.model_before(input), x['mfcc']], 1)
        out = self.model_after(h)
        return out

model_before and model_after are only nn.Linear, nn.LayerNorm, and nn.LeakyReLU modules connected by nn.Sequential.

can you change this portion of the code to the following and try once?

current_mfcc = self.normalized_mfcc[item,:].detach()
current_mfcc.requires_grad=True
return TensorDict({'mfcc': current_mfcc, 'phoneme': phonemes_one_hot})

I tried it but that did not solve the problem. (I wonder why.) However I found a promising solution: I changed the dataset to return tensors that do not require gradients and change require_grads after getting a batch from the dataloader. I have not yet integrated everything so it might be too early for calling it a solution.

It is running without yielding any errors so far. So I guess you helped me solve the problem. Thanks again!