Inexplicable error using cross entropy

I have an implementation of LeNet in PyTorch. It works completely fine with losses like MSE and MAE, but when I implement cross entropy loss according to the documentation and this forum post (RuntimeError: multi-target not supported (newbie)) I get this error:
RuntimeError: “host_softmax” not implemented for ‘torch.cuda.LongTensor’. The only reference to this error that exists on the internet is here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51818225/pytorch-runtimeerror-host-softmax-not-implemented-for-torch-cuda-longtensor, and I’m not doing what he did wrong according to the comments. Since the error was in computing softmax, I tried switching from cross entropy loss to nll loss to get rid of it, and I got this error: ‘RuntimeError: nll_loss_forward is not implemented for type torch.cuda.LongTensor’

What stupid thing am I missing here? I’ve started at it and all the documentation and posts for 4 hours and still can’t see what I’m doing wrong.

import torch
import torch.utils.data
import torch.nn as nn
import torch.nn.functional as F
import torch.optim as optim

class Net(nn.Module):

def __init__(self):
        super(Net, self).__init__()
        self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(1, 6, 5)
        self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(6, 16, 5)
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(16*5*5, 120)
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(120, 84)
        self.fc3 = nn.Linear(84, 10)

def forward(self, x):
        out = self.conv1(x)
        out = F.relu(out)
        out = F.max_pool2d(out, 2)
        out = F.relu(self.conv2(out))
        out = F.max_pool2d(out, 2)
        out = out.view(out.size(0), -1)
        out = F.relu(self.fc1(out))
        out = F.relu(self.fc2(out))
        out = self.fc3(out)
        return out

def train(model, device, train_loader, optimizer):
    model.train()
    for batch_idx, (data, target) in enumerate(train_loader):
        data, target = data.to(device), target.to(device, dtype=torch.int64)
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        output = model(data)
        loss = F.cross_entropy(output.argmax(dim=1, keepdim=True), target.argmax(dim=1, keepdim=True)).item()
        loss.backward()
        optimizer.step()

def accuracy(model, loader, device):

model.eval()
    correct = 0
    with torch.no_grad():
        for (data, target) in loader:
            data, target = data.to(device), target.to(device)
            output = model(data)
            _, predicted = output.max(1)
            _, target = target.max(1)
            correct += (predicted == target).sum().item()
    return correct/len(loader.dataset)

def loss(model, loader, device):
    model.eval()
    loss = 0
    with torch.no_grad():
        for data, target in loader:
            data, target = data.to(device), target.to(device, dtype=torch.int64)
            output = model(data)
            loss += F.cross_entropy(output.argmax(dim=1, keepdim=True), target.argmax(dim=1, keepdim=True)).item()
    loss /= len(loader.dataset)
    return loss

def main():
    batch_size = 6000
    test_batch_size = 1000
    epochs = 50
    device = torch.device('cuda')

train_data = torch.utils.data.TensorDataset(torch.load('trainImages.pt'), torch.load('trainLabels.pt'))
    train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(train_data, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, num_workers=1, pin_memory=True)
    test_data = torch.utils.data.TensorDataset(torch.load('testImages.pt'), torch.load('testLabels.pt'))
    test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(test_data, batch_size=test_batch_size, shuffle=True, num_workers=1, pin_memory=True)

model = Net().to(device)
    optimizer = optim.Adam(model.parameters(), lr=0.001)

for epoch in range(1, epochs + 1):
        train(model, device, train_loader, optimizer)

trainLoss = loss(model, train_loader, device)
        testLoss = loss(model, test_loader, device)
        trainAcc = accuracy(model, train_loader, device)
        testAcc = accuracy(model, test_loader, device)

print(epoch, trainLoss, testLoss, trainAcc, testAcc)

main()

It just means that you are feeding the wrong format. The cross entropy loss function you are using should receive a matrix containing the logits with dimensions: num_examples x num_classes. I.e., these are one-hot encoded. The targets, however, are a 1D long-type array with dimension “num_examples” only. (currently you have 2D long vs 2D long but with num_examples x 1 dimensions, which is why you get the error “implemented for type torch.cuda.LongTensor’”).

I have a step by step example notebook here if that helps with understanding the expected format: https://github.com/rasbt/stat479-deep-learning-ss19/blob/master/L08_logistic/code/cross-entropy-pytorch.ipynb

2 Likes

Thanks a ton!

So to make sure I understand correctly, I shouldn’t take the argmax of the output and should reshape the argmax of the target to (N,) instead of (N,1)?

If so, how would I properly reshape target? I tried .view(n,) and it doesn’t appear PyTorch supports that.

Hey Justin, did you end up resolving this issue? I’ve also been searching online for a while, but I have not found a solution.

I switched to the other implementation of cross entropy in pytorch and everything has been fine. Still no clue what’s up here though.