Installing PyTorch fails on MacOS

Hi there,

I’m a windows guy but my employer just gave me a new Mac to work on. Following the official “Start Locally” steps for Mac fails with some sort of compatibility error:

Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes.  Press CTRL-C to abort.
failed                                                                                                                                                                                                      

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be incompatible with each other:

Output in format: Requested package -> Available versions

Package pytorch conflicts for:
torchaudio -> pytorch[version='1.2.0|1.3.0|1.3.1|1.4.0|1.5.0|1.5.1|1.6.0|1.7.0|1.7.1']
pytorch

Package numpy-base conflicts for:
torchvision -> numpy[version='>=1.11'] -> numpy-base[SHIT TON OF VERSIONS]
pytorch -> numpy[version='>=1.11'] -> numpy-base[SHIT TON OF VERSIONS]

I thought that following the directions that state the addition of -c=conda-forge would fix the problem but they do not.

I next tried to downgrade my version of python to 3.8, but the problem persists. This is a brand new, untouched environment.

1 Like

did you ever manage to solve this?

I am also having this fail:

(synthesis) miranda9@Brandos-MBP ~ % conda install pytorch torchvision torchaudio -c pytorch
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: - 
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   failed                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be incompatible with each other:

Output in format: Requested package -> Available versions

Package pytorch conflicts for:
torchaudio -> pytorch[version='1.2.0|1.3.0|1.3.1|1.4.0|1.5.0|1.5.1|1.6.0|1.7.0|1.7.1|1.8.0|1.8.1|1.9.0']
torchvision -> pytorch[version='1.2.0|1.3.0|1.3.1|1.4.0|1.5.0|1.5.1|1.6.0|1.7.0|1.7.1|1.8.0|1.8.1|1.9.0|>=1.1.0|>=1.0.0|>=0.4|>=0.3|>=0.2|1.7.1.*|1.3.1.*']
pytorch

Package six conflicts for:
torchvision -> six
pytorch -> mkl-service[version='>=2,<3.0a0'] -> six

@smth Perhaps you’d know?

I just started a brand new env with python 3.9 and only numpy installed. Why can’t I install pytorch 1.9 the current newest version?

cross posted:

Ultimately this is what solved my problem:

conda install -y pytorch torchvision torchaudio -c pytorch -c conda-forge

@smth sorry to ping you again but why does the official pytorch installation not include the conda-forge channel? It seems I always have issues without it…at least letting you know. Hope this helps!