Intermediate results in the forward method of my neural net have requires_grad=False

I have defined a small neural net and tried to train it. However, the loss did not have requires_grad set - that was curious. I set a breakpoint in the forward method of my neural net, and none of the intermediate variables created (embs, means, sim, out) had requires_grad set.

Here is my code:

class Cbow(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, vocab_size, hctx_len, emb_size):
        super().__init__()
        self.proj = nn.Linear(in_features=vocab_size, out_features=emb_size, bias=False)
        self.hidden = nn.Linear(in_features=emb_size, out_features=vocab_size, bias=False)

def forward(self, x):
        # x: (num_batches, 2*hctx_len, vocab_size)

embs = self.proj(x)               # (num_batches, 2*hctx_len, emb_size)
        means = embs.mean(dim=1)          # (num_batches, emb_size)

sim = self.hidden(means)            # (num_batches, vocab_size)
        out = torch.softmax(sim, dim=1)     # (num_batches, vocab_size)
        # breakpoint()

return out

def fit_model_layers(model, train_loader, epochs, lr=0.01):
    model.train()

loss_fn = nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
    optimizer = optim.Adam(model.parameters(), lr=lr)
    optimizer.zero_grad()

for e in range(epochs):
      running_loss, num_batches = 0, 0
      for x, y in train_loader:
          out = model(x)

# calculate loss
          loss = loss_fn(out, y)                # loss.requires_grad = False !!!!!!
          running_loss += loss.item()
          num_batches += 1

# backprop + optimization step
          loss.backward()
          optimizer.step()
          optimizer.zero_grad()

print(f'Epoch {e+1} loss: {running_loss / num_batches}')

I don’t quite understand what I do wrong. In the optimization example from PyTorch (Optimizing Model Parameters — PyTorch Tutorials 2.2.1+cu121 documentation) intermediate results in forward() all have requires_grad set.

What could be wrong?

Did you try to add debug print statements into the forward to check this attribute?

Sorry for the bother. I ran the model in a different environment (a new Jupyter notebook) and it worked as expected, with the loss and all intermediate values in forward() having requires_grad=True.

Is there any way that some jupyter notebook state (possibly as a result of the other code I’ve already run) could produce this? I can’t explain my previous situation otherwise.

Yes, this could happen e.g. if you’ve previously disabled gradient computation globally.