Is it safe to recover from CUDA OOM?

I’m looking at trying to improve the robustness of our trainer code. If I select batch parameters that are not tight enough, I may run out of memory. Is it safe to catch the OOM, reduce the batch size, and try again?

Thanks
Jerry

3 Likes

Bump. Does anyone know the answer?

What does a CUDA OOM error look like, out of curiosity?

THCudaCheck FAIL file=/u/jlquinn/jlq01/pytorch/pytorch/torch/lib/THC/generic/THCStorage.cu line=58 error=2 : out of memory
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/dccstor/jlquinn01/mnlp-nn-rl-kit/src/mnlp/nn/seq2seq/tools/trainSeq2Seq.py”, line 320, in
nll.backward()
File “/dccstor/jlquinn-mt/nmt-env/ppc64le/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/variable.py”, line 167, in backward
torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, retain_variables)
File “/dccstor/jlquinn-mt/nmt-env/ppc64le/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/init.py”, line 99, in backward
variables, grad_variables, retain_graph)
File “/dccstor/jlquinn-mt/nmt-env/ppc64le/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/function.py”, line 91, in apply
return self._forward_cls.backward(self, *args)
File "/dccstor/jlquinn-mt/nmt-env/ppc64le/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/functions/tensor.py", line 95, in backward
grad_input = grad_output.data.new(ctx.input_size).zero
()
RuntimeError: cuda runtime error (2) : out of memory at /u/jlquinn/jlq01/pytorch/pytorch/torch/lib/THC/generic/THCStorage.cu:58

it is safe to recover from this. The fairseq-py guys have started doing this (in case there is a really long sequence length that comes in…).

Catch the python exception and then call torch.cuda.empty_cache() and continue business as usual.

6 Likes

Thanks! It’s good to have the safety mechanism.

How would you catch this exception?

Like this:

try:
catch RuntimeError:
     torch.cuda.empty_cache()

Or what is the exact exception for a Cuda OOM Error?

I’d parse the error string to determine that the runtime error is actually a cuda error.

My program has various sized inputs, sometimes OOM occurs, I used the above technique, like @marcel1991’s pseudocode, and continue to another iteration if OOM occurs, it seems that the torch.cuda.empty_cache() is not enough to clean up the memory, and I could actually not continue to train – every iteration after that suffers from OOM, how can I clean up the allocated GPU memory when OOM occurs?

Assume your training code (e.g. Trainer) can be viewed as a class object that contains the network, optimizer and etc.
My workable solution is like this.

import gc
retry_time = 0
while retry_time < 3:
        try:
             trainer = Trainer() # Init the network and optimizer inside
             result = trainer.train()
             break # Still goto finally after break while
        except RuntimeError as e:
             retry_time += 1
             print('Runtime Error {}\nRun Again......{}/{}'.format(e, retry_time, 3))
             if retry_time == 3:
                 print('Give up!')
                 break  # Still goto finally after break while
        finally:
             # Handle CUDA OOM Error Safely
             del trainer
             gc.collect()
             torch.cuda.empty_cache()

You can monitor the memory usage after the last line of the finally block before the next trial to see if the memory are released as you expect.

1 Like