Is there any way in which we can speed up the dataloader

I am trying to build a model which will take two arrays from the dataloader. But the problem is the dataloader is extremely slow. To iterate over the entire sample it took around 3-4 hrs on a A100 GPU with num_workers=32. Is there any way in which I can speed up the dataloader? I have tried setting pin_memory=True, which is actually making it slower.
This is my implementation

class VQADataset(torch.utils.data.Dataset):
    ans_vocab = {}

def __init__(self, data_dir, qafile, img_dir, phase, img_def='images_resnet', raw_images=True, raw_audio=True, lang='French'):
        self.data_dir = data_dir 
        if phase == 'train':
            self.examples = open(os.path.join(data_dir, qafile), 'r').readlines()
        else:
            self.examples = open(os.path.join(data_dir, qafile), 'r').readlines()
        if phase == 'train':
            self.load_vocab(data_dir)
        self.img_dir = img_dir
        self.phase = phase
        self.raw_images = raw_images
        self.raw_audio = raw_audio
        self.lang = lang
        self.phase = phase
        self.unk_emb = 8000
        self.img_def =img_def

def load_vocab(self, data_dir):
        ans_vocab_file = os.path.join(data_dir, 'ans_itos.tsv')
        for line in open(ans_vocab_file):
            parts = line.split('\t')
            VQADataset.ans_vocab[parts[0]] = parts[1]

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.examples)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        audio_id, ques_id, ques, imgid, ans = self.examples[idx].strip().split('\t')
int(imgid)))
        img = np.load('{0}/features/{2}/{4}/COCO_{1}_{3:012d}.npy'.format(self.data_dir, self.img_dir, self.phase, int(imgid), self.img_def)).squeeze()
        audio_features = np.load(os.path.join(self.data_dir, 'features', 'w2v2_'+self.phase, self.lang, f"{self.lang}_{audio_id}.npy")).squeeze()

return ques_id, ques, torch.tensor(audio_features), torch.tensor(img), imgid, int(ans)

My train dataset contains around 440000 samples and validation set contains around 200000 samples

train_dataloader = DataLoader(training_data, batch_size=256, num_workers=32)

Thank You

I had and am having the same problem as you, using 2048x2048 images on Google Colab and analyzing the training process I noticed that the bottleneck is actually fetching the data from GDrive.

Things I have adopted temporarily are:

• set the device globally :
device = "cuda" if torch.cuda.is_available() else "cpu"
torch.device(device)
  • follow this rule to calculate the num_workers:
    NUM_WORKERS = 4 * os.cpu_count()

I believe, however, that to get maximum performance, you need to load all the data into memory beforehand, but I couldn’t find anything online.
To speed up loading, an HDF5 dataset should be used and then a data loader wrapper created.
Here is some useful information: