Is there anything wrong with setting default tensor type to cuda?

The docs say you should pass the device parameter around and create your tensors with parameter device=device or use .to(device) to move them to the gpu; and to apply .cuda() to the model.

However typically I want to use CPU or GPU for everything. Therefore if I want GPU it seems easier to just at the start do:

torch.set_default_tensor_type(torch.cuda.FloatTensor)

This avoids the need to pass around a device parameter and loads of .to(device) calls where one can easily be forgotten by mistake. Is there anything wrong with this?

Hi,

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this :slight_smile:

I have found a problem. It fails with multiprocessing. For example a dataloader with workers=0 works fine. If I set workers>0 then it fails with cuda initialization error. It fails even if the dataloader is already created. As soon as you create an iterator it fails. For example if you have a training loop that does “for x in dl” then it fails.

2 Likes

Hello Simon,
My workaround is:

@contextmanager
def set_default_tensor_type(tensor_type):
    if torch.tensor(0).is_cuda:
        old_tensor_type = torch.cuda.FloatTensor
    else:
        old_tensor_type = torch.FloatTensor

torch.set_default_tensor_type(tensor_type)
    yield
    torch.set_default_tensor_type(old_tensor_type)
for data in data_loader:
    with set_default_tensor_type(torch.cuda.FloatTensor):
        run_model(data)
3 Likes

Some libraries may break if you change the default tensor type.

I ran into a problem with allennlp's ElmoEncoder when I had set the default tensor to cuda.FloatTensor.

In case anyone else runs into that error, the first error you get is:

RuntimeError: 'lengths' argument should be a 1D CPU int64 tensor

which then leads to a second error:

RuntimeError: Input type (torch.FloatTensor) and weight type (torch.cuda.FloatTensor) should be the same