Issue with AttributeError in PyTorch TransformerEncoderLayer

Description:

Hello everyone,

I am encountering an issue while working with PyTorch’s TransformerEncoderLayer, and I’m seeking some assistance from the community to resolve it.

Problem: I am attempting to use PyTorch’s TransformerEncoderLayer in my code, specifically in the context of a Transformer-based model. However, when I try to run the code, I encounter the following AttributeError:

AttributeError: 'TransformerEncoderLayer' object has no attribute 'norm_first'

Context: The error occurs when I call the forward() method of my model, which includes a TransformerEncoderLayer. It seems to be related to an attribute called norm_first, which is not recognized by the TransformerEncoderLayer class.

Request for Help: I have reviewed the PyTorch documentation and other resources, but I’m unable to identify the cause of this error. I’m reaching out to the community for assistance in understanding why this error is occurring and how I can resolve it.

Additional Information:

• I am using PyTorch version 2.1.0 and Python 3.8
  • The code snippet where the error occurs is related to the application of the TransformerEncoderLayer within my model’s forward pass.
  • I have also checked for any potential issues with my installation or environment, but everything seems to be in order.

Any insights or suggestions on how to troubleshoot and fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards

self.norm_first is defined in the __init__ method in this line of code, so it shouldn’t fail. Could you post a minimal and executable code snippet reproducing the issue, please?

1 Like

I have organized the code, and below is a simplified portion of it. I have annotated the part that is causing the error.

This is the code for the training section:

os.environ['KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK'] = 'TRUE'

'''
Due to space constraints, only the relevant key code for the training part is retained here.
'''

ac_train = AC_RPPG(video_length=video_length, image_size=img_size, source_file=ac_train_source_file,
                       base_dir=ac_base_dir, target_fps=target_fps, bvp_length=bvp_length)

train_dataset = MergedSet([ac_train])

# dataloader
train_loader = DataLoader(train_dataset, batch_size, shuffle=True, num_workers=0)

model = RPPGSFormer(num_frames=video_length * target_fps, signal_length=bvp_length)

model = model.to(device)

for epoch in range(epochs):
    train_eval(epoch)

def train_eval(epoch):
    global eval_times, best_model, min_eval_loss
    epoch_loss = 0.
    start_time = time.time()
    for batch_id, (video, bvp, hr, fps, bvp_sampling_rate) in enumerate(train_loader):
        # to device
        video = video.float().to(device)
        bvp = bvp.float().to(device)

# predict
        # The code encountered an error at this point in execution,
        # and the error message describes the specific issue mentioned in this problem.
        rppg = model(video)

This is the structural code related to the model:

class RPPGSFormer(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, num_frames=96, signal_length=96, pretrained=True, **kwargs):
        super().__init__()
        self.embed_dim = 192
        self.signal_length = signal_length
        self.vit = VisionTransformer(patch_size=16, embed_dim=192, depth=12, num_heads=3, mlp_ratio=4,
                                     qkv_bias=True, norm_layer=partial(nn.LayerNorm, eps=1e-6), **kwargs)
        if pretrained:
            path = r'E:\A_projects\Python\expTest\saved_models\deit_tiny_patch16_224-a1311bcf.pth'
            checkpoint = torch.load(path)
            self.vit.load_state_dict(checkpoint["model"])
        self.vit.head = nn.Identity()
        self.temporal_encoder = TemporalEncoder(clip_length=num_frames, embed_dim=self.embed_dim, n_layers=6)

# Omit part of the code...

def forward(self, x):
        '''
            x.shape == [B, C, T, H, W]
        '''
        B, C, T, H, W = x.shape
        x = x.permute(0, 2, 1, 3, 4)
        x = x.reshape(B * T, C, H, W)  # [B*T, 3, H, W]
        x = self.vit(x)  # [B*T, 192]

features = self.temporal_encoder(x)
        rppg = self.head(features)
        return rppg

def trunc_normal_(x, mean=0., std=1.): 
    return x.normal_().fmod_(2).mul_(std).add_(mean)

class TemporalEncoder(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, clip_length=None, embed_dim=2048, n_layers=6):
        super(TemporalEncoder, self).__init__()
        self.clip_length = clip_length
        enc_layer = nn.TransformerEncoderLayer(d_model=embed_dim, nhead=8)

# The error can be traced back to this point.
        self.transformer_enc = nn.TransformerEncoder(enc_layer, num_layers=n_layers, norm=nn.LayerNorm(embed_dim))
        # ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

self.cls_token = nn.Parameter(torch.zeros(1, 1, embed_dim))
        self.pos_embed = nn.Parameter(torch.zeros(1, clip_length + 1, embed_dim))
        with torch.no_grad():
            trunc_normal_(self.pos_embed, std=.02)
            trunc_normal_(self.cls_token, std=.02)
        self.apply(self._init_weights)

def forward(self, x):
        batch_size = x.shape[0] // self.clip_length
        x = x.reshape((batch_size, self.clip_length, -1))
        cls_tokens = self.cls_token.expand(batch_size, -1, -1)
        x = torch.cat((cls_tokens, x), dim=1)  # [B, T+1, D]
        x = x + self.pos_embed
        x.transpose_(1, 0)

# The error can be traced back to this point.
        token = self.transformer_enc(x)
        return token[0]

Your datasets depend on unknown data and I assume the error should also be reproducible using random input tensors. Could you post the model initialization as well as the shapes of the tensors to reproduce the issue without the need to download the data?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your guidance. Following the direction you provided, I have identified the problem, which occurred when I tried to load pre-trained weights with the following code:

model = torch. Load(r'E:\A_projects\Python\expTest\saved_models\RPPGSformer_pretrained_010.pth')

I encountered an error while attempting to load the pre-trained weights:

AttributeError: 'TransformerEncoderLayer' object has no attribute 'norm_first'

This code snippet was downloaded from someone else’s repository for testing purposes. The model trained successfully without adding this line to load weights, but the error occurred when I added it.

I speculate that the issue may have arisen because I modified the model’s hyperparameters, leading to inconsistencies in the model’s structure between the two training sessions, resulting in the error when loading the pre-trained weights.

After further testing, the training proceeded normally.

Thank you once again for your assistance!

I guess you might be loading an entire model instead of the state_dict alone, as would be recommended.
This would also explain why model = torch.load(...) works.
Note that serializing a full model will come with side effects such as these. The recommended way would thus still be to serialize the state_dict only:

torch.save(model.state_dict(), PATH)
model = MyModel()
model.load_state_dict(torch.load(PATH))