Loss for each filter of a particular layer

Hi,

I am somewhat of a beginner to pytorch. I am implementing a paper where they have a classification CNN (input -> convolutional layers -> dense layers -> output). However, each filter of the final convolutional layer has its own loss calculation. During back-propagation, the gradient of the final loss of the network output is summed with the gradient of the loss for each particular filter. This is then back-propagated to lower convolutional layers as per usual.

I have no idea how to implement something like this. I have only ever implemented pre-defined loss functions (e.g. nn.CrossEntropyLoss()) and only for the final output of the network.

Do you have any suggestions of how to get started?

Hi @ari,

You can have the model returning both the last Conv layer output and the final output

def forward(self, x):
    [...]
    c = self.last_conv(...)
    x = self.dense(x)
    return c, x

Next, depending on how you calculate “loss for each particular filter” you can define your loss function and sum it with the classic output loss (as nn. CrossEntropyLoss):

def special_loss(c):
    # Implements the paper algorithm
    return l
loss = nn.CrossEntropyLoss()

c, output = model(input)
final_loss =  loss(output, target) + special_loss(c, c_label)
final_loss.backward()

Keep in my mind that a loss function is normal PyTorch code, that returns a scalar (on which you usually call backward)