Lstm bidirectional - size mismatch

I am a newbie with lstm and confused with dimensions when going from lstm to the linear layer. I get the following error: # size mismatch, m1: [4096 x 128], m2: [64 x 3]. I know I have to flatten in some way but do not know how to.

For reference batch_size=64, hidden_dim=64, tagset_size=3, embedding_dim=64. Below is my class LSTM (bidirectional lstm). The error is in the forward() when it runs tag_space = self.fc(lstm_out). I think its because dimensions going from lstm to linear are not correct, but I cannot figure out why (I added print statements so you can see the dimensions).

Here is my class:

class LSTM(nn.Module):

def __init__(self, embedding_dim, hidden_dim, batch_size, vocab_size, tagset_size, layer, direct, dropout):
     super(LSTM, self).__init__()
     self.hidden_dim = hidden_dim
     self.word_embeddings = nn.Embedding(vocab_size, embedding_dim, padding_idx=0)
     self.lstm = nn.LSTM(embedding_dim, hidden_dim, num_layers=layer, bidirectional=True,          dropout=0.5, batch_first=True)
     self.direct = 2 if direct else 1
     self.layer = layer
     self.fc = nn.Linear(2*hidden_dim, tagset_size)
     self.hidden = self.init_hidden()

def init_hidden(self):
     hid = torch.autograd.Variable(torch.zeros(self.layer * self.direct, batch_size,  self.hidden_dim))
     cel = torch.autograd.Variable(torch.zeros(self.layer * self.direct, batch_size,     self.hidden_dim))
     hid = hid.to(device)
     cel = cel.to(device)
     return hid, cel

def forward(self, sentence):
     print(sentence.size()) -> torch.Size([64, 64])
     embeds = self.word_embeddings(sentence)
     print(embeds.size()) -> torch.Size([64, 64, 64])
     lstm_out, self.hidden = self.lstm(
embeds, self.hidden) 
     print(lstm_out.size()) -> torch.Size([64, 32, 128])
     ###### Below line is the error
     tag_space = self.fc(lstm_out)
     tag_scores = F.log_softmax(tag_space, dim=2)
     return tag_scores

Your output should be returned with the shape [batch, seq_len, num_directions * hidden_size] and it seems you are directly feeding this input to the linear layer.
Note that linear layers accept inputs as [batch_size, *, nb_features], where the asterisk can be any dimensions, such that the linear layer will be applied on each of these dimensions separately.

I’m not sure what your exact use case is, but you could use:

output.view(batch, seq_len, num_directions, hidden_size)

to separate the direction dimension, if you need to slice the output tensor.