LSTM forward data dimension does not match when in mini batch

Hi,

I’m trying to do a text classification example using LSTM + LinearRegression + softmax. The input of forward is a [8, 33, 300] vector, the 8 is batch_size, 33 is the max tensor length and 300 is embedding size. However, I’ having trouble in setting the right dimension in the forward() method. I’ll paste the code piece first

class LSTMMasker(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, embedding_dim, hidden_dim, vocab_size, target_size, args, corpus, layer=1):
        super(LSTMMasker, self).__init__()

self.hidden_dim = hidden_dim # hidden dim = 512
        self.corpus = corpus

self.embedding = nn.Embedding(vocab_size, embedding_dim) # embedding_dim = 300

# when batch_first is True, input is of shape (batch, tensor_len, *
        self.lstm = nn.LSTM(embedding_dim, hidden_dim, layer, batch_first=True) # layer = 1
        self.hidden = self.init_hidden(args.batch_size) # batch_size = 8

# The linear layer that maps from hidden state space to tag space
        self.output = nn.Linear(hidden_dim, target_size) # hidden_dim=512, target_size=2

self.use_cuda = args.cuda

def init_hidden(self, batch_size=300):
        return (torch.zeros(1, batch_size, self.hidden_dim), torch.zeros(1, batch_size, self.hidden_dim))

def forward(self, inputs):
        d_word, d_len = inputs # d_word has size [8, 33, 300], 8 is batch_size, 33 is max sentence length

embeds = self.embedding(d_word #  embeds has size [8, 33, 300], 300 is embedding size of each word

lstm_out, self.hidden = self.lstm(embeds, self.hidden)
        print(lstm_out.size()) # which is [8, 33, 512]
        output = self.output(lstm_out) # output has size [8, 33, 2]
        result = F.log_softmax(output, dim=1) # will cause error
        return result

Then I get an error in the softmax line

Expected target size (8, 2), got torch.Size([8])

However, as you can see, the data is of size [8, 33, 2], how can I make it [8, 2]? As far as I know, .view method can not do that as it just reorganize the tensor.

Also, I find the document of batch_size is a little bit vague, and I have to use some magic option like batch_first=True to control the order of batch_size, which is kind of error prone.

But anyway, my focus is still on the LSTM itself, does anyone has any clue about my issue? Thanks!

Hmmm, I don’t think F.log_softmax should care what the shape of the input is, are you sure that is the line throwing the error?

This error message is related to the loss function with input and target arguments. Apparently, the input is of size [8, 2] but the target is of size [8]. So you should use the on-hot vector of the ground-truth labels as target.