Making iterable objects using torch.utils.data.DataLoader

Hi,

Can someone please explain “torch.utils.data.DataLoader” in a clear , concise way? I am aware of the tutorial on pytorch but still can’t get my head around it. How is this related to the for loop?

You could link to any page/videos if you think it would help explain better.

Thank you!

1 Like

I think the best way to explain the DataLoader is to start with the Dataset.

Using a Dataset you can load and handle a dataset as the name suggests.
Basically, you just need to define three functions in a Dataset.
In the __init__ method you can pass some arguments like a pre-loaded dataset or file paths.
You can also pass transformations to it, but let’s stay with the basics.
Let’s assume we have a very large dataset, so we pass file paths to the Dataset.

def __init__(self, image_paths):
    self.image_paths = image_paths

Next we define the __getitem__ function. This function gets an index argument to load the sample at the current index. Here we can use index to get the file path for this index and load the image lazily.

def __getitem__(self, index):
    image = PIL.Image.open(self.image_paths[index])
    # Transform it to Tensor
    x = torchvision.transforms.functional.to_tensor(image)
    return x

The last function is __len__, which just returns the length of the dataset.

def __len__(self):
    return len(self.image_paths)

It is used e.g. by the DataLoader to know, how many samples are available in the Dataset.

Until now we didn’t have to think about batching, i.e. in other frameworks we would have to implement something like a for-loop in a generator and load batches of samples.
Also, we didn’t have to think about shuffling etc.
The Dataset would look like this:

class MyDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, image_paths):
        self.image_paths = image_paths

def __getitem__(self, index):
        image = PIL.Image.open(self.image_paths[index])
        # Transform it to Tensor
        x = torchvision.transforms.functional.to_tensor(image)
        return x

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.image_paths)

A DataLoader basically wraps a Dataset and gives us some options, e.g. setting the batch size or activating shuffling. It’s also able to use multi-processing to speed up the loading.

loader = DataLoader(dataset,
                    batch_size=64, 
                    num_workers=8, # set the number of workers for multi-processing
                    shuffle=True)

So just by wrapping the Dataset we got “automatic” batching, multi-processing and shuffling.
It has some additional arguments, which we will skip for now.

Now we can use this DataLoader in a for-loop and in every iteration the loader will return a whole batch from the Dataset by calling its __getitem__ function. The loop is defined by the __len__ of the Dataset.
Since we just defined image paths without a target, we will just get the images back.
The last batch can be smaller than batch_size, if the length of the dataset is not divisible by the batch size without a remainder.
If you don’t want to have this behavior, you can disable it with drop_last=True in the DataLoader.
Since the DataLoader loads the samples using multi-processing, we can train the model while the next batch is being loaded.

for batch_idx, data in enumerate(loader):
    print('batch {}, shape {}'.format(batch_idx, data.shape))
    # Your training routine

I hope this helps!

9 Likes

Thank you very much for the exhaustive explanation. Now it all makes sense!